Water leak from shower skylight

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
We just finished our wettest campout, 4 days and nights of continuous rain or mist. On second day I heard a water drip every 5 seconds or so, and found the leak from the shower skylight, dripping off a screw from the skylight trim piece. I was not too bothered as the water just dripped down the shower drain. After getting the Sundance home and finally having a dry sunny day, I got on the roof to investigate.
I found the skylight dome had two 4"-6" cracks that radiated straight from underneath the Dicor sealant up the plastic dome. The two cracks were opposite of each other. I will attempt to make a temporary repair using some clear silicone caulk along the crack, but in the long run the skylight will need to be replaced.
I have not camped under tree branches, and have not knowingly struck the roof with anything. Is it possible for the plastic skylight to be stressed during travel, especially over some of the rough road conditions we have encountered? Has anyone else experienced cracks in their skylight domes?
For Heartland factory, can I purchase a replacement dome? I would like to replace it myself, my dealer is 4 hours away.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    734.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

jbeletti

Eric,

Perhaps the screws that hold it down were over-torqued, thereby stressing the plastic to the point that with a few hot/cold cycles, it cracked. Just one possibility.

Heartland should be able to sell you one through Customer Service (877-262-8032) but give them a chance to advise you on what the cause may be. Perhaps it will be warrantied. Good luck.

Jim

Retyred

Skylight leak

I had the same problem with my last motor home. Under the skylight caulking I found a screw that had been in properly placed and after time crackled the skylight. I removed the screw and drilled a small hole at the end of the crack. This will stop the crack from spreading further. I then caulked the crack and hole with rubber roof caulking. That solved the problem and it never leaked again.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Thanks for the replies. I will contact Heartland in the morning. I have added pictures to my original post, in hopes that Heartland can view them. Pictures say it better than 1,000 words.

gsbainter

The same thing happened on my Sundance 2800 RLS. It was on the first trip out and it rained. I found two similar cracks. I had my dealer replace the skylight (with Heartland's approval).