2nd A/C unit smell problem

Don't know if this has happened to anyone yet...We had a 2nd Carrier A/C unit (low profile) installed in bedroom when we bought the 3250. After a month or so of using, both fan and compressor put out a horrible smell, almost like black tank odor. Have tried to figure out every conceivable reason it could be doing this, but haven't come up with any...Any ideas? Could it be a water drainage problem?

Update: After reading several posts, we sealed around the pipes of the grey tank vents on the roof with caulking. Appears to have solved the problem...

Last edited:

jbeletti

Conventional wisdom on this forum will likely suggest that there is a seal issue where the air conditioner is connected to the RV. If you are not handy, have this checked out by a service department at a dealer or service center.

Jim

timdebs

Are you sure the smell is coming from the a/c? The reason I ask is because we also had a smell after installing the 2nd a/c and it was actually coming from the holding tanks. We talked with service manager at CW where we purchased our camper and he suggested putting on "Cyclone Sewer Vents" (bought mine at CW). Since they were put on have not had the smell.

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
We had the same problem on our 2009 BH 3580RL. It was the vent over the w/d area and when the a/c came on, it sucked the odor back into coach. The Cyclone sewer vent solved the problem. God Bless ya, Al W

stevebotts

We have had this problem for two years. We recently had the AC removed and reinstalled. Many problems found with the factory install to include the unit not even being sealed off from the attic. This did not solve the problem however. Finally found out the odor was being sucked from the bathroom sink. Don't know why or how but I cleaned the sink with Clorox and the odor is gone!!! Might try that.