Silverado 2500HD owners input needed

SteveM

I have found a decent tow vehicle that I am interested in. It seems well equipped. It does have 4.10 rear end, which is great for towing but not so good for gas mileage.

If you own one of these (gasoline, not diesel) can you let me know what kind of gas mileage you get WITHOUT towing (with towing too if you want).

The specs of this vehicle is: Silverado 2500HD, 6.0 L, 4.10 Rear end. If there is other information you need to know let me know.

thanks
Steve

2010augusta

My Dad has a '01 suburban with the 5.3L and 4:10 gears, he get 14-19 mpg without a trailer. He also has an '06 SSR with the 6.0 vette engine and it gets between 3-20 mpg depending on the use of the long skinny pedal.;)

DMitch

I had an 05 with 3.73 that I towed a 27' fifth wheel with. Got 14 not towing 8.5 -10 towing. I also have a friend with an 04 that we drove last fall on a hunting trip towing an enclosed trailer that i'm guessing weighed 4,000lbs. We averaged 8.9 for the trip after traveling about 2400 miles.

I really don't think that was that bad, towing takes a toll on the mileage. I have heard the 6.0 liter take some bad raps but I thought it was a great engine.

That said, I now have a diesel and am in love with it, don't think I will ever go back to gas unless I stop towing. All the best with your search for a tow vehicle. Just my 2cents.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I had an 08 with the 6.0L and 4.10 rear. Around town best I could do was 12. Interstate, almost 14-once.
Towing mileage was pitiful but it had adequate power-not great.

It got really dirty one day, so that was a good excuse to trade for a DuraMax.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Great Tow Vehicle

We have the 2001 2500 HD, 8.1, with 4.10 gears. We get 12 solo, and 10 towing. It does smell gas stations alot!!!, but we love the power and the way it tows.

Good luck!:D

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If you own one of these (gasoline, not diesel)

If I understand the OP this is a Gas engine.

If you plan to pull a 5th wheel such as a Bighorn, Big Country or Sundance you would be much better off getting a Diesel.

That is what I would do...

BC

2500 HD Gas

I have an 08 Chevy 2500HD Gas with a 373 rear end.
Currently on a trip from Highland, Il to Branson to McComb, MS back to Highland. A trip of roughly 1600 miles. From Branson down route 65 averaged 8.3 to 8.5 today heading North frm McComb, MS north on interstate 55 averaged 9.4 to 9.9. At between 60 and 65 mph. Running light I get 15 to 17. highway and 13 to 14 aroung town.
Hope this helps.

CE

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Steve, yes it will pull a trailer. Fuel mileage might suck a little. In your post you didnt say what you want to pull??? Are you looking at an Edge or a Landmark.

wyleyrabbit

Another vote for diesel. Gas is fine unless you're towing, in which case the extra torque of the diesel is important. Seriously.

terdebb

i have a 2007 crew cab 43 wheel drive get up to 15 plus not towing 5 to 10 when towing depending on the terain and the wind have got as hi as 21 not towing and a stiff tail wind

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
TXBobcat is right, you really should look for a diesel. They have more power and get better mileage. I get 20+ on the highway when I am not towing and 17 in the city when I am not towing. About 10 with the Augusta on the back.

Good luck,
Mark

Uncle Rog

Howdy, I have to agree with the earlier posts, the Duramax is the only way to go. I will never, by choice, ever own another truck that is not diesel. The power and mileage are just so far superior to even consider it an option...........

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Steve, what trailer do you plan on pulling with this truck? Sure, a diesel will pull better and get better fuel mileage and have higher resale and more longevity but if you're only pulling a 6 or 7,000 pound trailer, a 6.0 Chevy will do a fine job. If you can afford a used diesel, go for it. Shop around, there are deals out there.

jagiv

Although we do not, yet, have out TT, I researched the gas/diesel question very thoroughly and was advised that if you are planning to tow about 10,000#, get the diesel if you can afford the extra $5k for a used truck [$9k new]. There are some nice used vehicles out there, but it may take a few miles of driving and some negotiating to get what you want. I am very happy with my 2005 2500HD Duramax.

Good luck!

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Having had a 2003 2500HD with 3.73 rear and now a 2008 2500HD with similar rear end I would definetly say go diesel even if you had to sacrifice a couple of years on TV. 14 mpg on the gas was a great day in warm weather while 17 to 20 is pretty much mileage all the time in diesel ( not towing). Towing varies from 8-11 gas to 9 to 14 diesel.

caissiel

The president of GM admitted that in towing condition the Diesel has a 30/40 % advantage over gas models. I had a Diesel GM years ago and my friend had a Dodge V8 and we travelled south 1600 Miles. My diesel cost was 50% his fuel cost. Also his Gas dodge would overheat in hills. It took him 3 months to order a brand new Ram and he also cut his fuel by 50% pulling the same trailer. He now has a Ford 6.0L and loves it. LOL. I pull my 3500RL, 15000 Lbs with the same fuel cost as I was pulling a 5000 Lbs 5th wheel with a 1/4 Ton V6 Ranger, while having lots of power to spare in the hills.