Happy Mole Day!

2010augusta

For anyone else out there in the science and/or education fields, Happy Mole Day (Not the furry burroring animal, but rather the number). Today is the day to celibrate the wonderful number 6.02x10^23. So at 6:02 on Oct (10), 23rd Mole Day Starts. Mole Day is the official celebration of the Mole – a number used by scientists to convert the atomic weight of a molecular into grams. (Of course! Now you remember, right?) In 1811, Amadeo Avogodro published his findings first introducing the Mole, though it took over a century before high school kids began to celebrate this special day.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Brings back wonderful memories of college chemistry lab:eek: - The black fingertips from the the Silver solutions, the near fainting from sniffing the ammonia hydroxide, the endless seach to determine the unknown solution (that turned out to be distilled water).

Thanks Alan!

4ever

When I first saw your topic I thought it would be about the animal moles. These little creatuers are on my mind as they have created their own little interstate system in my yard. Perhaps if I print out this formula and stick down the mole whole it will scare them away.

Ted

Nell

I spent yesterday evening with my 10th grade daughter making a little black stuffed mole. He was the second one I'd helped with. I did the same thing with my 10th grade son last year. Yes, it is a high school science project that gets assigned in recognition of Mole Day. The funny thing is that our first mole turned out to be so adorable the teacher thought my son had purchased it from a store and I had to email her to confirm that he had infact followed the project rubric and printed off the pattern and constructed him. Our first little mole has been our trailer mascot ever since and right now is sitting of the sofa in the trailer!

Happy Mole Day;)

Jim/rsvl/AR

Animal moles

When I first saw your topic I thought it would be about the animal moles. These little creatuers are on my mind as they have created their own little interstate system in my yard. Perhaps if I print out this formula and stick down the mole whole it will scare them away.

Ted

This is a reminder as how to deal with these ANIMAL MOLES. Ted, that mole inerstate extends all the way to Arkansas. My question is, how do you get rid of them? Have tried Mole Out from Lowes but does not seem to be very effective.

2010augusta

Here is my mole mascot bought from the National Mole Day Foundation. I call him "Guaca"mole.

DSCN8437.JPG

4ever

Jim,

I belive the only way to get rid of the moles is to get rid of the slugs. The moles diet is slugs. remove the food and they go away. At least that is what I have been told. By the way, since my post this morning they have completed 3 interstate spurs and 4 more interchages. I also think they put in a Flying J rest stop.

Ted

Jim/rsvl/AR

Ted
Thanks for the info -- what do you use to get rid of the slugs? I am only 1 1/2 miles from a Flying J so that may be the source!!
Jim

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
Salt will kill the slugs. You can try " poison peanuts " in the yellow and red cone for the moles, it works great here in Texas. They are available at wal mart or lowes garden centers. God Bless ya, Al

4ever

Jim,

By the way it is not slugs but grubs. Sorry about that.

I am not sure what to use. A couple of years ago we had a lawn service that applied what ever on the lawn that suposedly took care of the slugs. I don't recall what it is. Just the other day I was thinking I need to go to the store and find out what I need to put down.

Also, 1 more interchange and what looks to be nascar race track with pits and grandstands since my last message

Ted

TanDumb

Kim and Chris
Jim,

I belive the only way to get rid of the moles is to get rid of the slugs. The moles diet is slugs. remove the food and they go away. At least that is what I have been told. By the way, since my post this morning they have completed 3 interstate spurs and 4 more interchages. I also think they put in a Flying J rest stop.

Ted
Too funny!