tire temperatuers

4ever

What do you all see for tire temperatuers when running around 60 - 65 mph? Just purchased a tire monitor system and have not even set it up yet. Want to set the high temp alarm however, don't want to go to high or to low. Just wondering what you all see.

Thanks,

Ted

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Pressure Pro system, but do not have a temp monitor. I check my temps with an IR gun when ever I stop. It may be a challange to set a high temp alarm. I do know that the tires on the sunny side are about 10-15* warmer than the shady side. I also monitor brakes and bearings. Let us know how you set it up.

Peace
Dave

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Checked mine last summer going through Needles/ Co River at the gas station, outside air temp was 114. Front tires were 160, rears 165. not sure if thats normal or not. (those readings were on my truck tires). Trailer tires were around 155 as i remember.

MC9

Ted, I have only made one short 200 mile trip since my new TST system and that was late Sept. in the U.P. MY temps as I recall were about 108 or so. I think my minimum temp. setting is about 157 factory setting. So, basically you leave that part alone. It was fun to watch the lb temp relationship tho.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I don't set the temp alarm on my tps. I just use a IR temp gun. It is amazing how much difference there is in the sunny versus the shady side. It is also fun to look at the difference temps on the outside of the RV in the painted and unpainted surfaces.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
I spoke with Dan Covington of TST (Truck Systems Technologies) about this topic about two weeks ago. The minimum tire temp setting on the TST unit is 157 degrees. The highest temps we have seen were 92 degrees. I asked how to lower the setting. His response was that if you are going to suffer catastrophic tire failure due to temperature, it will happen between 180 and 200 degrees. At a minimum setting of 157 degrees you will get plenty of advance warning of a possible tire failure due to temperature. You can contact them via their web site http://www.tsttruck.com/ Dan has been extremely helpful anytime I call. Additionally, there is a direct correlation between speed and tire temperature. Once you start to run over 60 mph, tire temps go up significantly.

Bobby A

interesting topic hear and just intime, I noticed after towing the horn about 200 miles I stopped at a rest area to get some snacks out of the trailer and kinda noticed a rubber smell as I entered the trailer, I put my hand on the tire, it did seem warm but not hot. Is this normal ?? or something I should pay a good deal of attention to. I do have the GY G614's Thanks, don't mean to take over this thread though, but figured it would be a good place to start.

SmokeyBare

Bobby,

Probably that smell came from some other location than your RV... but if you have not yet looked... always a good idea to KNOW it wasn't from yours.

Did you look at both sides of the tires? Looking for any place where they may be rubbing against anything? Just to be sure... I'm not trying to frighten you but just to have a look...

4ever

Thanks for the info everyone. I just got the TST and was vey curious about the temp. I guess I will just set the high temp alarm at the lowest setting.

Ted

Retyred

Rubber smell

Are your Good Year tires new?
My Good Year tires are over a year old and they still have a rubber smell when the sun is on them. When they were brand new the smell was quite strong.

Bobby A

Are your Good Year tires new?
My Good Year tires are over a year old and they still have a rubber smell when the sun is on them. When they were brand new the smell was quite strong.

Well sorta, they have around 2000 miles on them, it was a new coach in April

Bobby A

Bobby,

Probably that smell came from some other location than your RV... but if you have not yet looked... always a good idea to KNOW it wasn't from yours.

Did you look at both sides of the tires? Looking for any place where they may be rubbing against anything? Just to be sure... I'm not trying to frighten you but just to have a look...

SmokeyBare,
Yea, I did check both sides and they felt about the same, we are in Elkhart and had the tech for Heartland look and he said all looked fine, he also called Lippert out to see if the brakes were dragging and all was good he said, he did adjust all 4 brakes though. Maybe I'm just being a little paranoid, we are in route on a 2000 mile journey.