The Good, Bad and Ugly

travlingman

No, not the Eastwood movie. I have been lurking on this site for sometime, and the new 5er purchase is drawing near. After checking out many manufacturers, the Bighorn is on top of the list. Presently have a Montana, good rig, but wanting to go from 2 slides to 3 and get rid of the "suicide step". If you have had a Montana, you will know what I mean by the "suicide step".
So, give me the good, bad and ugly of your rig, if you don't mind. To help clarify what I mean:
Good-what you like about your floorplan, quality of your rig, options you have, etc.:D
Bad-what you would do different if you were buying another rig(floorplan, options):confused:
Ugly-issues you have had with rig(quality, form-fit), company standing behind the product, etc.:mad:
Thanks for your responses in advance, and I will be asking more in the future.

ChopperBill

Looked long and hard before our purchase.
ALL wood cabinets!
Corian counter tops!
Real fiber glass shower! (The ABS in the Montana really turned us off)
Modern color schemes and fixtures. (NuWa's outdated gold fixtures put it in second place)
Mor-ryde suspension standard
You find a nicer coach for the money and you may have done better home work than I did.
A couple of boo-boo's. If nothing new has been done at the factory I will bet you dollars to do-nuts the satellite system wont be right and the A/C's vent system wont be too efficient. (Unless you do the "tent in the vent" that TimK invented. A 5 minute $2 fix)

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
good, bad and ugly

We really like our 3055rl.
So far we have had some QC problems, just discovered that the slides leak from the under side while driving in the rain, easy fix I think.
We can use the kitchen while on the road, without putting out the slide. Maybe it would be better with a queen bed as it would give you a foot more room.
For the $$ it has the most bang for the buck.

nhunter

Friend of ours has a Montana 3400 and we have a Bighorn 3600RL. Both units have + and -. We like our corian counters better and dislike the Montanas suicide step. Montana has a side window on the desk and big front closet. Had some toilet ball problems but other than that great unit!!!!:D

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
It might help us if we knew what floorplans you were looking at. We are really happy with our BH 3655RD with optional fireplace and dual pane windows. It has not been trouble-free, but the factory was great to work with. Did just get a new truck with DRW and longer frame to hopefully tame down some of the rotten interstates between Michigan and Florida.

If I had to replace this coach, I would definitely buy another BH 3655RD.

travlingman

cdbMidland said:
It might help us if we knew what floorplans you were looking at.

We are looking at the 3055 and 3600. Like the 3055 for the length, we like to camp at state parks, COE's. But, wife likes the space in the bedroom of 3600 plus the kitchen counter space.

jpmorgan37

A happy wife is a happy camper. We spend a good bit of time in Corp parks and have no problem with our Grand Canyon which is 38 feet long. Also many city parks here in the North country are very nice and accommodate just about any size RV. We don't stay in many state parks due to the excess charges for just one stay, but that is dependent on the State. I know some are really nice. My bride likes to cook and the bigger kitchen is wonderful, and a larger bedroom sure makes living a lot easier.
John

Cheryl

A happy wife is a happy camper
John,
You are one wise man!

2002dura,
We wouldn't trade our Golden Gate for any other Brand. The interior is absolutely beautiful, lots of room, and the factory responses when a problem occurs sets the bar very very HIGH for other companies.

jpmorgan37

Hi Cheryl;
Not really wise, just old and I have a great memory (tho sometimes very short) and I have a very high regard for Heartland and also my dealer, RV's for less who has treated my exceptionally good. And I feel the same about our Grand Canyon. It definately fits our life style.
John

jpmorgan37

Thanks;
Maybe that's the reason my bride has stayed (and put up) with me all these years. When I met her, I promised her that our life would never be boreing and I have worked very hard to keep that promise. We still never know what's coming next--and like it that way. Not always good but it almost always gives us something to laugh at down the road.
John

arisce

John,
Bill said the same thing when I met him-life would never be boring! Must have read the same book as you!
As to the + about our unit for 2002dura:
rides very well on the road
Corian countertops wipe off so easily
lots of storage on this model
lots of kitchen counter space, as I like to cook
living space is well organized and comfortable
the WARDROBE

arisce

One other thing we really liked was the space in the bedroom. Both could be in there at the same time and not have a problem.

Our other 5th wh had the same kitchen layout with the L-shaped counter and that is why we chose the 3600RL-for the counter space. The small counter between the fridge and stove is also very convenient. We added a small extension at the end of the counter to increase the counter size even more. We both really love the spaciousness of the unit and realize we will have a very hard time replacing it if and when....
On the - side
some QC problems like missing moulding
grey water trap stopped working after 1 trip
A/C was stuck on the "on" position(at least we had A/C)
double slide-out had to be repaired at rally in Indiana
small crack in fiberglass(repaired at LSI in Indiana)

Despite these problems (and the blowout) we still love our BH and would probably buy another as it is great to belong to the Heartland Family. Scott has been great in answering our questions and requests. I can't wait to see the RL3670 as it is based on our model 3600.

J

jjjelm

We have had or BH 3055RL since June 26 and have not had any problems except one that was "somewhat" caused by us and a design flaw.... entainment slide caught when going out on a lower backside of "L" counter cabinet door knob and casused damage to the slide. Everthing else has worked perfect....we LOVE the king bed and entire floorplan...plan to leave our "summer home" on October 1 for 8 months on the road...can't wait!! Wonderful Wyoming

svd

We have a 3400 are are very happy! No serious problems, and with the wealth of information on this site all the minor ones, and several improvements are complete. We really like the new 3670 floorplan design, although have never seen one yet. It is a big unit. I would not hesitate to buy a Bighorn again.

nhunter

SVD, I really don't think the 3670 is that much bigger than your 3400. Only about 1.5-2' longer and 1000lbs heavier. But I'm with you would buy another Bighorn in a minute.