dodge 1500 mega cab

charlie51

I was wondering if anyone out there tows with the Dodge 1500 mega cab. I know it's basically a HD 1500 with some of the features of the 2500. I now tow with an 03 Dodge 1500 quad cab with the 4.7 v8. On the flat it tows fine as long as you stay around 60, but on much of a hill it really slows you down. I am looking to hopefully upgrade in the near future, and prefer a 2500 with a diesel, but money wise may not be able to swing it. The 1500 mega cabs I've looked at with less than 50,000 miles are several thousand dollars cheaper than the 2500 diesel. I'm also looking at the mega cab because of the extra leg room for the growing kids in the backseat. I tow a 5300# Sundance 310QB TT for about 2500 miles per year in Alabama, Tennessee, and Florida. What features other than the diesel option does the 2500 give you compared to the mega cab 1500 with the HEMI, and what difference would I see going from my 1500 with the 4.7 v8 to the mega cab with the HEMI? I know it will give me a heavier suspension and bigger brakes as well as a little more torque I would assume. Thanks for the advise. :angel:

jbeletti

Charlie,

The used diesels you are looking at are more money as the diesel engine itself adds at least $5,000 to the cost. If you plan to tow anything other than a very lightweight RV, strongly consider the diesel truck. If need be, get one with even more miles on it to bring your cost down. Consider 75,000 miles. The diesel should be good for a few hundred thousand miles. I've owned a Dodge RAM 1 ton diesel dually - loved it! I just rode in the backseat of a mega cab - wow. Big!

Best of luck.

Jim

Charlie

I had a 2006 3500 Mega Cab diesel, I loved it. I traded it in for a 2009 Mega cab diesel with everything but the DVD, it comes with an exhaust brake which is great.
I am waiting for the 2010 to come out, it will be using coil springs on the rear of the truck which should make a nice ride. I get an employee discount which helps on the price.
I now have about 10,000 miles on my truck, let me know if you are interested in it?
Jack
314-846-0300