Help! What should we take to Elkhart?

We are picking up our FIRST RV - a 3950 - the first week in November!! :D

But since this is our First RV we'd really value any advice on what we should take with us. We are planning to overnight at the Elkhart Campground (no generator yet) in our new unit after completing the PDI just to make sure everything is in working order since we live a very long way from the nearest dealer.

We've read the forums and see that we need sewer hoses (and fittings) and of course we have a printed PDI check list. We'll be taking kitchen supplies (to check out all the appliances) and bedding.

What else should we take? What tools do we need to have?

2010augusta

You should talk to your selling dealer because a lot of time they will include a RV starter kit with some of the basics. My short list would be:
Outside stuff-
Jack pads
Leveling boards/blocks
Wheel Chocks
Fresh water hose
Sewer hose/elbow/suport
Cable Coax
Power adapters

Inside stuff
dishs/cup
pots/pans/baking sheet
flatware
soap/drying rack/towels
Clothes/bedding/pillows
Bathroom items/TP/chemicals

Tools-
Flashlight
screwdrivers
multimeter
big end cutters/PEX crimp tool
Lug wrench to tighten lugs on trip home

trvlrerik

In my opinion (and limited experience) I would make sure I had tools for "emergency" use, like a 6 ton bottle jack & 4 way lug wrench, electrical gremlin repair items ect.
Other than that, just what you would take camping, as I made purchases of supplies that I thought I really needed and found out that I had gotten stuff that I did not need or even know about. Wal-Mart is usually on the way you are headed and RV parking friendly for most items you do not have. I guess everybody has "needs" versus "wants" different from everybody else.

I would go thru this forum in the FAQ section, and do searches for whatever you are interested in. Again in my opinion, there is a lot of experience and advice written down here, a little research and thought can save you a lot of money.

rick_h

Don't forget your Mastercard (priceless)

Because no matter how hard you plan - you're gonna forget stuff ;)

Delaine and Lindy

Congratz on the new 5th wheel. Just to add I would for sure have a good Torq wrench. Just to add to what 2010augusta said make sure that you have a pex tool. During the PDI double check for water leaks. And if your plan on having HDTV take your receiver and make sure all the connections work, odds are they want. Its very easy to do the off air system, but Satelitte systems are a little more difficult. Good Luck and don't rush, take your time. GBY...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you have a tool box at home with the basic tools in it, take it along. And a reliable cell phone with charger. Make sure your RV insurance has road service coverage for both the trailer and your truck...just in case. If this is your first RV ever, leave your embarassment at home and ask every question, dumb or not, you can think of before you pull it off the lot. Practice moving, hitching/unhitching, setting up at the dealership.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
If you are staying at the fairgrounds in Elkhart you will need lots of sewer hose the hook ups are in the back.:)

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We are picking up our FIRST RV - a 3950 - the first week in November!! :D

But since this is our First RV we'd really value any advice on what we should take with us. We are planning to overnight at the Elkhart Campground (no generator yet) in our new unit after completing the PDI just to make sure everything is in working order since we live a very long way from the nearest dealer.

We've read the forums and see that we need sewer hoses (and fittings) and of course we have a printed PDI check list. We'll be taking kitchen supplies (to check out all the appliances) and bedding.

What else should we take? What tools do we need to have?

I hope you realize that the Elkhart Campground will not have any water available not even in the shower house from what I was told. I was going to be there on Oct 31-Nov 2nd and called ahead to find out. I was a bit bummed but decided to stay at the Elkhart Fairgrounds iinstead. They will still have water available at the campsites and a nice shower house plus they are only $26.75 per night for full hookup. It is about 30 minutes south of Elkhart but well worth the amenities.

Good luck,
Mark

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Given the choice between the two I would stay at the Elkhart Fairgrounds. We have stayed at both Elkhart Campground and Elkart Fairgrounds (in Goshen). We prefer the Fairgrounds. BTW there is a Wal-Mart just down the street (about 1 mile) from both. Also do not forget the can opener.

porthole

Retired
4 girls and a man oh my .......

There are a couple of RV supplies shops in town also.
Something I thought of too, I did not buy much at the local Menards, as there are no Menards in my area (returns if necessary).

There is a Lowes in town though.

What Dealer are you picking it up at?

My dealer/service center had power and water availalbe at the shop, which is where I stayed while waiitng for items to be corrected.

Nothing fancy but the "no charge" price was just right.

Paul & Nan

Just think about what you would use at home for the time you will be gone, then cut that by a third or so. I am doing the same thing, but we are seasoned RV'rs who are going sort of full time. Good luck with the new rig. Nan