Elec. Hot Water Heater

txdds

Just completed our shake down trip 2009 3500RL...couple of questions....
Pull into campground...turn on switch for Electric hot water heater. Nothing 30 minutes later...I flip the gas switch and have hot water quick. A couple of hours go by.... Retiring for the night and switch off gas thinking to myself the electric will keep the water hot. Nope! Wake up in the morning to take shower and the water is not hot enough for a shower. Should the electric keep the water hot enough to shower? I've read online that if you are doing dishes, and back to back showers you might need to turn on the gas.

Can both switches be turned on at the same time, gas and electric.
Thanks for the help.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Have you enabled the electric heating element by turning on the switch in the heater compartment? This is the one where you have to remove a small safety pin to turn it on. Once this switch is on, you can control the electric element with the switch inside the coach. The electric element has almost the same heating capacity and recovery time as the gas burner. If its actually turned on, you'll know it.

txdds

Thanks Bob,
This might be our fault....we tested the hot water during the inspection but it might have been off the gas. Is this pin something that the dealership should have taken out? Do you take it out and in with every trip? Sorry if this sounds so stupid? I'm blonde ;)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Don't worry there are a number of blonde's on this forum....

On the outside of your trailer you have a door with vents on it that is for the hot water heater. Take the door off and look real close inside you will see a black rocker switch. Many times this switch is turned off and has a small pin placed through the switch so it can not be turned on and burn up while building the trailer. Push the pin out and leave it out. Filp the switch on.

On the inside of the coach you have a wall switch that is red. If it is on your hot water heater sould work on electricity. You can turn off the propane for the water heater and just use it on electricity.

One other thing, if someone has taken a shower and you need hot water pretty quick just filp on the propane switch and use both to heat the water. Then turn off the propane when done..

BC

lwmcguir

One note of caution is to never turn the electric hot water heat on unless the hot water heater is full of water. If the water level is below the element then you will need to replace the element as it will burn out quickly in the air.