Mirrored utility door

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We have had our Bighorn for about 10 months now. Just inside the front door is the large mirrored door with the light switches and utility switches and meters. From past experience I was a little apprehensive about this particular door. In our last trailer we had a similar door of which literally came apart in the hands of my 11 year old daughter. Fortunately the mirror did not break, only the frame. She did not get hurt but was a bit scared. Anyway, this last trip that we took I found this door to be open when we would stop somewhere to rest a little. There are (2) roller catches and (1) bullet catch. All seem to operate OK but we still have the door coming open at times. Other times the door has come open, let the dust pan out and on the floor and somehow the door will close up again.

So my question is: Has Heartland changed to the (2) door style because of this and the weight of the mirror versus the frame? I do have to say that even though the dorr apparently is swinging as we travel down the road, the door does not show any signs of wear or damage. I do believe that at sometime my luck will run out.

My second question is: Would it be possible to replace my current large door with (2) smaller ones?

tcbrady

BIGHORN now uses 2 doors at the entry closet. The closet is still the same width so you could order 2 doors to replace the 1 larger door. In order to do this you would need to contact your dealer and have them place the order through our parts department.

Hope this helps answer your question.

svd

Mark,
Now I don't feel so bad! We have had the same thing happen, I make sure the door is closed before I leave, and when we get to our destination, the dust pan and can of bug spray are on the floor. The door is shut, and there are no signs that the door has been in contact with anything. It is real strange!

jpmorgan37

Check the door frame. My Grand Canyon had pulled the frame loose from the wall. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=1270&highlight=Loose+closet+door. Nothing but good luck allowed me to see it before it fell off.

svd

Thanks John, I hadn't thought of that. I just assumed it was a problem with the latches. Now that I think about it some more, there has been at least one ocassion I found the upper hinge side wood plug that covers the screw hole on the floor. I will take another look at things!

phranc

Might be cheaper to put a more positive lock/latch on this ,such as a compartment door lock.. Or one of the various baby proof locks.....