tires, shocks

aatauses

Hi everyone, I know I will get a differance of opinion on this and that is ok. I currently have a 2005 chev 3500 Dually and pull a BH 3670. I need to replace all 6 tires and wondering what brands should I look to and more importantly which brands should I not look at?
I am also considering replacing the shocks as a precautionary and looking for the same information
thanks
aatauses

Rmcgrath53

I also am looking to replace my dually tires. I have been pricing out Michellin tires. They are E rated and a very good tire. I had them on my last truck.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I recently put on 2 Firestone Transforce HT on the front. I'm pleased and plan on putting 4 on the rears in the next couple months. They are quiet, wearing evenly and not too pricy. I think I paid $120 each. Plus balance & Tax. Gotta pay the tax ya know.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I just bought new Michelin tires for my 06 F250..

I had these on the truck.. 265/70R17
Michelin LTX A/S
It is noted that these are especially good with duals...

I just put these on just a month ago:
265/70R17E1 121RW Michelin LTX M/S2 ORWL

The new ones have a better wear rating and better traction.
I like them a lot. You might have a bit more road noise but I can handle that..

Thats what I did..
BC

Cyncwby

I have 2 sets of tires for my F-250, one for summer and one for winter. When I couldn't find anymore Firestone Steeltex A/T's I ended up buying the tire that Firestone replaced them with.......the Transforce. Looks the same, treads almost the same and so far they wear about the same, which is xlnt. Ray got a helluva deal @ $120, I paid $140 but mounted and balanced. The Michelin's are a great tire also, just depends on how much $$$$$ you want to spend.

jcd8822

Joseph
To me the main issues are that whatever tire you buy it is not made in China, it was manufactured within the past 3 to 6 months only. and you always keep the correct air pressure in them.

lwmcguir

Curious as to where we can by the Firestone's for around $140. They are about $200 in our area with the Goodrich and Michelin higher yet. That would be for 265-70-17-E tires. Mounting and balancing is on top of that yet. We must be in a higher priced area as I checked at Sam's club as well and it is still near the $200 range for the cheapest.

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
I also put on F-stone Transforce HT a little over a year ago. We are very pleased with them. I bought them from Tire Rack.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. Pro Grade, Load E, 10 ply - made in USA!

Last year, I purchased a set of (7)of these tires for my Chevy, wanted to get the spare in the rotation! :) Bought them at Sears in Denver. I paid $1551 for 7 of them - mounted, balanced, new stems, road hazard, tax & all. Cheaper than the quote I had gotten from Goodyear store. Very pleased with them so far, and they are definitely the 'quietest' tire I've ever had on this truck. With the one-ton having the stiffest suspension on ant truck I've ever had, these tires are hands-down the smoothest ride so far. In the past, I have always bought real aggressive tread for my non-pavement travels with my jobs. These are touted as excellent in mud and snow, too. In every review I read, especially the ones from actual owners, not just someone writing an article - they all loved them. After getting a set, I can see why. 50k miles warranty also. Based on my experience with them thus far, I can certainly see myself purchasing another set someday! :)

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Toyo

10ply tread and 6ply sidewalls........rated as the best in the world! Nothing really compares to them.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Transforce

I have hhad two of these explode....one at a standstill and one going down I-15. Really won't have anything to do with Firestone again. I have never been more happy with a tire than TOYO, but it may be just a fluke and I am lucky. Anyway my two cents worth. Russ

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. Pro Grade, Load E, 10 ply - made in USA!

Last year, I purchased a set of (7)of these tires for my Chevy, wanted to get the spare in the rotation! :) Bought them at Sears in Denver. I paid $1551 for 7 of them - mounted, balanced, new stems, road hazard, tax & all. Cheaper than the quote I had gotten from Goodyear store. Very pleased with them so far, and they are definitely the 'quietest' tire I've ever had on this truck. With the one-ton having the stiffest suspension on ant truck I've ever had, these tires are hands-down the smoothest ride so far. In the past, I have always bought real aggressive tread for my non-pavement travels with my jobs. These are touted as excellent in mud and snow, too. In every review I read, especially the ones from actual owners, not just someone writing an article - they all loved them. After getting a set, I can see why. 50k miles warranty also. Based on my experience with them thus far, I can certainly see myself purchasing another set someday! :)
Best tire i have bought!

2010augusta

I really like the Hankook AH11's they are a good load range F tire, but only available in 17.5, 19.5, and 22.5 for medium duty trucks. They are quite/silent and give good all weather traction although I would not haul anything on snow or ice with them.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I have hhad two of these explode....one at a standstill and one going down I-15. Really won't have anything to do with Firestone again. I have never been more happy with a tire than TOYO, but it may be just a fluke and I am lucky. Anyway my two cents worth. Russ
And a great 2 cents worth. Maybe operater error on your part because i have yet to see one of these tires fail except from neglect... Do you live in the USA?

bill40

I also have the same truck,before our trip I replaced all 6 tries with the Firestone Transforce HT. We have put just under 7000 miles on them and are very pleased. The last set went 65000 were ok for running aroud home but a little thin for a long trip.The dealer was running a deal buy 3 get one free fit my budget.

jbeletti

I really like the Hankook AH11's they are a good load range F tire, but only available in 17.5, 19.5, and 22.5 for medium duty trucks. They are quite/silent and give good all weather traction although I would not haul anything on snow or ice with them.

Alan,

I was at a Goodyear truck tire dealership one day to have something looked at. I asked a salesman what 19.5" tire he would suggest, when it is time to replace the Generals that are on my F550. He suggested Hankook. He said they can run any tire they want on their service trucks as they get reimbursed for them by the mfr and they chose Hankooks for their store's fleet.

I will be fine until 2011. Probably end of 2010, I'll start researching more and reading reviews.

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
10ply tread and 6ply sidewalls........rated as the best in the world! Nothing really compares to them.
Russ, I like Toyo tires as well. What model Toyo are you referring to? There are many available but it seems Toyo doesn't cover the full range of sizes and Load Ranges in several models of thier LT tires.

Tires on Dually and 3670 Big Horn.

We have the same set up and run Michelin. We had a problem with them cracking on the sidewalls, but the dealer shipped us replacements while we were in AZ at no freight costs. When it was all said and done, we replaced all six for $600.00. We also had to replace all the Chinese made tires on our trailer due to bulges on the inside sidewall. Heartland worked with us through Tredit Tire and we were re-imbursed for each tire. We replaced them with Good Year LT235/85R16 G614. Very pleased with the help from these two companies.