Replacing outside flood lights

davelinde

How do you get at the bulbs on the outside lights? One of mine is burned out and I need a plan. Does the round plastic cover rotate and pull out of the metal ring? or do you need to remove the 4 screws, the ring and the cover? It looks like the ring is caulked in the side so if you need to remove the ring you need to re-caulk? (my "plan" currently lacks a ladder... so I cannot really get too close to look)

Are these the same bulbs used inside? I had an unusually high number of these bulbs go in the first year... (this makes 6 so far) hopefully the replacements will last longer.

Warnerelli

Semper Fi
I have a 3912. I have changed one bulb only. To do it I simply removed the four screws, removed the lens and replaced the bulb (same bulb as used on the inside lights) with no caulking. Hope this helps, but a ladder will do you more good.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Gotta have a ladder on board :D. If you go to WallyWorld, maybe even Home Depot or Lowes, the Cosco folding extension ladder works really well and fits in the basement (of my 3670, anyways) setting against the front wall on its beam. Extends to 17 ft, or an A-frame of about 7 ft. Similar to the Little Giant, but a less expensive. Folded for storage, it's a little under 5 ft long.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Here's the ladder I got online from Target. I've used it for changing the outside bulbs and inspecting the tops of the slideouts. Collapses down pretty small. :)

Attachments

• RV Ladder.bmp
    198.1 KB · Views: 51

JohnDar

Here's the ladder I got online from Target. I've used it for changing the outside bulbs and inspecting the tops of the slideouts. Collapses down pretty small. :)

That was my second choice, but having the A-frame capability is a plus when there's nothing to lean the ladder against, like the main awning without laying on it.

wdk450

A Frame (Stepladder)

That was my second choice, but having the A-frame capability is a plus when there's nothing to lean the ladder against, like the main awning without laying on it.

I found the tallest A frame configuration very handy when working inside on the Air Conditioner, or replacing interior lights, or even outside accessing the awning clips.

davelinde

I have carried a nice flat Home Depot step ladder for several years... on our last swing by our sticks/bricks house it "somehow" ended up in the house and stayed there - so it's not here now. I might have to make do with a chair on top of the picnic table when I get around to this.

JohnDar

I found the tallest A frame configuration very handy when working inside on the Air Conditioner, or replacing interior lights, or even outside accessing the awning clips.

For the price and size, it's a good, sturdy, versatile ladder. I keep it secured to the front basement wall and store my broom and long handled brush on top of it.

davelinde

Finally got around to fixing this.
The outer ring (what I saw caulked on) does NOT remove. The light cover is held to the ring with 4 screws. They are recessed into the cover, but come out easy enough to pop in a new bulb. (btw - I must have gotten a bum batch of bulbs. In two years I've replaced essentially every bulb that gets use in the rig. Seems unusual.)

jimtoo

Finally got around to fixing this.
The outer ring (what I saw caulked on) does NOT remove. The light cover is held to the ring with 4 screws. They are recessed into the cover, but come out easy enough to pop in a new bulb. (btw - I must have gotten a bum batch of bulbs. In two years I've replaced essentially every bulb that gets use in the rig. Seems unusual.)

Dave, you might check your voltage for the 12v lights. Your converter may be putting out to much voltage or not enough. Should be between 12 and 14v. To high or to low voltage will shorten the life of the bulbs.