Love BH But Stinky Furnance and Not Stainless Steel Sink

Theresau

We love our Bighorn; however, as would be expected, it got cold in Michigan when we went on a fall tour and the furnace was too stinky to use it - thank goodness we had the fireplace.

We ran the furnace a great deal to get rid of the smell before we left but it still smells - has anyone else had that problem and if so, what did you do to rectifiy it?

It was pretty strong - especially from the bathroom floor vent. I recall this occurring with our travel trailer but it went away after a few times of running it. The Bighorn got a bit better but it's still too strong.

Also, we found that the stainless steel sink is not very "stainless" - it is rusting - has anyone else had that problem? (There are small rust spots all over it.)

Regards,
Theresa

smday

For a new furnace the smell is normal. I would turn your furnace to the highest point and let it run for about an hour. Then shut it down and let cool. Repeat if needed. The smell is just the oils on the metal burning off and eventually they will disapper. As for the sink if you just bought the unit i would take to the dealer and show them its discolor. If its rust they should replace it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you've been running the furnace a lot since you got it and it still stinks, give it to the dealer to look at with the sink problem. We ran our furnace a lot this summer (delivered in late March) and did not notice any obnoxious odors.

lwmcguir

Be sure not to use any products that may contain even trace amounts of HCl, that will rust any SS. Let us know what the final answer is.

Theresau

In regard to the products - do you mean detergent? Only thing I've ever used was Palmolive dish detergent and not very often - we usually use paper plates when we camp (no dishwasher....................)

Regards,
Theresa

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
There are many grades of Stainless steel and some rust.
As far as your furnace goes most smell until they become "burned in", if after 8 hours of constant run time use and the smell is still there i'd call your dealer.