Learn from my mistake------I blew it.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Tonight I felt as if I was just too dumb to own an RV. I started to winterize our rig tonight and started with the refer water dispenser and ice maker. I turned off the supply behind the wall in the basement. I then disconnected the supply from the valve and then disconnected the supply from the solenoid at the back of the refer. I hooked up the air compressor at the disconnected valve and turned on the compressor to blow out the supply line. Done! Now it is time to hook the compressor to the solenoid valve at the refer. I hook it up, go inside my rig and turn on the refer so I have power. I then get a glass out to catch the water in and put it under the water dispenser. I pushed the button to start blowing out the water line. Well I got a lot of water out but I neglected to turn down the pressure of the air compressor and I ended up blowing the water tank off of two of the four tabs that hold it to the underside of the refer area. Way too much pressure. I really blew it this time, literally. I fell like such a turd. So tomorrow I will be humbly contacting Heartland to see what I can do to purchase another water tank. Lesson learned hope you all can learn from it too.

A little birdy called me almost as soon as I hit the submit button to rub it in my face with a laugh. I laughed also but I do need to clarify that this is a water tank that feed the water dispenser in the door of our 14 cu ft refer. It mounts on the "ceiling" of the refer area as you can see in the first picture.

Mark

Attachments

• 100_0357.JPG
    100_0357.JPG
    347.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 100_0358.JPG
    100_0358.JPG
    444.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 100_0359.JPG
    100_0359.JPG
    416.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 100_0360.JPG
    100_0360.JPG
    393.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 100_0361.JPG
    100_0361.JPG
    379.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 100_0362.JPG
    100_0362.JPG
    414.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Mark,

Don't be so hard on yourself. No one is an "expert" at everything and even the "experts" mess it up.

They just know how to hide it better.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Yep - we all know what expert means. "X" = former, "Spurt" = a drip under pressure. Therefore, Expert = a former drip under pressure:rolleyes:.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mark, some good epoxy will fix that. Oh, BTW, "DRUT" is turd spelled backwards. I call the grand kids that at times and no one has caught on to it yet. LOL Bob:D

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
This may sound a bit "backwoods" but why not try using a length of plumbers tape under the tank into the same two holes. It only supports the tank and would only be visible to you. I bet even a very large wire tie would work. Cut it to the needed length, drill a couple holes in the tie and you're good to go.

mrcomer

Hey Ray,
Depending on what the cost is to replace I may have to do that.

Thanks,

mrcomer

Salt in the wounds

I called Dometic yesterday and ordered an new replacement water tank. Upon further inspection of the old tank, it turns out I blew out the whole side of it. Could not repair this.

Water tank $59.95
S&H $25.00
No return policy on Dometic parts.

Received part today and installed tonight. So far so good. Lesson learned. Pull head out of rear, lower pressure on compressor, blow out supply lines.

Have a great night all,
Mark

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mark, just where is it being shipped from...... Pluto or Saturn??? Was the grease and sand seperate?? Its $8.00 from Elkhart to Calif for parts I ordered today.