check u bolt torque

Bobby A

Had a real scary situation yesterday but could of been alot worse. I will give you the short version. Stopped at a F/Jays to get fuel in Kentucky before we got into the mtns. noticed my rear tire was not in line with the front tire on the coach. Had to spend the night in a parking lot and wait for customer service to open in the morning. There was a RV dealership that sold some Heartland products 2 doors down. Called Matt and he got the dealership to expedite the repair, we are on our way south for the winter. The tech who worked on the coach said the center pin on the spring sheared off because the u bolts were not torqued to spec. This could of been a fatal accident if I was going 60 miles an hour in the mountains. So please everyone find out the torque for the u bolts and put that on your list of things to do before you leave on a trip. Don't mean to scare anybody but wanted to share this with you all. Gotta give thanks to Jim B for settleing me down during this tramatic experiance, a big thanks to Matt for expediting the repairs and thanks to the guys at Delightful Days RV center in Walton, KY for making the repairs in a timely manner and thanks to God for keeping us safe. Thank yous are not necessarly in order.

lwmcguir

Four of mine were loose when I discovered the bent center hanger. The proper torque is on the spec sheet that you can down load. Would give it but I think everyone should take a look at the sheet. Most RV folks carry a torque wrench as they should for the camper wheel lugs as well as the TV. Thanks to another post we discovered our problem prior to taking off on a trip. Wound up replacing the axles to get a little margin for safety.

lwmcguir

This was also the same think we witnessed on I70 Saturday this week. The front axle was about three inches to wards the curb side of the camper off the side of the road. It was another major manufacturer so it happens to all of them.

lhetsler

U Bolts

I had new axles installed in June and before leaving on a trip a week ago (just returned), I check the u bolts and they were scarily loose, around 40 lbs. So, I was glad I checked them and tightened them. There must be some stretching of new u bolts.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Well guys, ask me about an axle coming loose. 5% downgrade at 60mph. As told to me by the guy that replaced my springs, the torque is 65#. I am beginning to think that the "U" bolts stretch and the nuts come loose. I did put "locK-tite" on the threads. So we will see if the nuts come loose or the "U" bolts stretch. I would check them at least once a month. Bob:confused:

Bobby A

Sorry to hear this has happened to others and especially you Bob, you must of been freeking out !! I will get some lock-tite TODAY. So what size nut is it ?? and is the proper torque 65#'s for the 7000lb axles ?? Thanks guys

lwmcguir

The critical measurement is to torque all 4 bolts evenly up until the plate starts to deform slightly. Max torque on grade 5 1/2 inch bolts is 92 pounds. The plate will bend prior to reaching that. The torque should the the same on each bolt and the same on each side. Never have <50 pounds even if the plate deforms quite a bit.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
When Lippert was checking axles and springs at the last Rally in Goshen they torqued them to 65 lbs......Kenny

RSIG

Torque U bolts

What are the factory torque settings for the U bolts on the axle and spings of a 09 Bighorn 3670? I am planning a cross country trip next summer and do not want any major problems. My friend lost his axles in Ohio this past summer for the same reason.

Thanks

Last edited:

Jarhead

USMC Phantom Phixer
torque spec

Four of mine were loose when I discovered the bent center hanger. The proper torque is on the spec sheet that you can down load. Would give it but I think everyone should take a look at the sheet. Most RV folks carry a torque wrench as they should for the camper wheel lugs as well as the TV. Thanks to another post we discovered our problem prior to taking off on a trip. Wound up replacing the axles to get a little margin for safety.
I'm unable to find that spec sheet you suggested. :confused:
I've been to Heartland & Lippert's websites. Could you post the page web address please? :D
TIA

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
Torque Specs

In the website listed below I found a torque specification table under their FAQ tab. Also, there was other information about springs and axles that I found quite interesting.

www.springworks.com

lwmcguir

Lippert PDF

Looks like the U-Bolt torque is missing. All the other data is there. 65 pounds seems to be the range when the plate starts bending. Attached is the general brochure with the equalizer and hanger torque settings. However you dont want to tighten them so they dont have room to freely move as designed so it is a judgment call.

Attachments

• Trailer Axle-Web.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 89

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Well.......could have swore I mentioned earlier that 65 ft. lbs was what Lippert techs was tightening them to at the rally.......Kenny

lwmcguir

We had 4 out of the 16 Nuts loose. Did they find many loose at the Rally? Our left rear spring slipped and bent the hangers. Especially the center one with about 100 miles on the Augusta.

jbeletti

65 foot pounds is correct. I am getting a document from Lippert that I can put online on this. Will post it soon as I get it :)

beardedone

Beardedone
Wish I had known about this before. It may have saved me a $1200.00 bill! Why don't they advise of this the same way they do for wheel lugs. A little more caring and communication would be nice.