Landmark owners please ...

Midastouch

I was not sure where to post this but the time has finally come where I just have to ask this question! I read the forum daily and make a mental note of issues that everyone is facing with their units so that I can be informed when I finally get mine ... hopefully the week of Labor Day ...

My observation/question is this: Are the issues that need addressing all Bighorn issues or are the Landmark folks not using their coaches, not posting problems and concerns like the Bighorn folks, or what??????

It concerns me sometimes when I read about these seemingly simple things that either the factory or dealer miss .... I feel fortunate to have access to this forum because I know I will need to get info, ask questions, etc... soon. Am I experiencing a "false sense of security" so to speak ... or are most of the Landmark folks silently reading, very happy or what? :confused: Just an observation, that is all!!!!! Still excited about the Grand Canyon though! :D

jbeletti

Hi Lynne,

No such luck that us Landmark owners are any more out of the woods than Bighorn owners.

I think the reason you see more issues posted about the Bighorn is more representative of Bighorn sales vs. Landmark than it is fewer issues with a Landmark.

I don't have sales figures but I know that Bighorn outsells Landmark many times to one.

Still love mine.

Jim

jpmorgan37

Lynne;
I don't care what brand you buy, keep in mind that you are pulling a 16000 pound house down rough and bumpy roads and you are going to have problems. With that being said, most of the problems are small and/or easily resolved. I do love my Grand Canyon. And with 183 post by me, I don't think that I am necessarily being quiet. :>)

John

K

Ken Washington

Lynne,
I too have had my shair of problems to the point that I wanted to give up! I do think that after all is said and done (fixed), we are happy with our Grand Canyon. Would I do it again knowing what I know? I don't think so! I think what will help you and others who read this fourm is that you will know what to look for from the start.

BluegrassMan

Hi Midas:
Grand Canyon owner here, WE love our 5ver. Not being retired "YET", we don't use ours as much as many others, and yes we have had some issues with ours. EVERYTHING has been taken care of in a timely manner. I make a "little" hobby out of checking out OTHER 5vers in the Landmark price range. I wouldn't trade my GC for most in the same range. Heartland offers alot for the price. After 200+ posts you can read about some of my problems, even recently. But still it is a GREAT product!!!

ct0218

A lot of us have had problems and annoyances but they appear to be fewer in number as the production numbers increase. These coaches have a lot of options and standard features-stuff to go wrong. I have had some myself, but I've seen nothing that I would want in this price range, equipped as mine is. If you're not mechanically inclined the little things may drive you crazy, but that is true with RV's in general. One big advantage is that Heartland is responsive and seems to be customer oriented, and that one thing swayed me in favor of my Landmark. Would I buy another if i had to replace this one--you bet.

Cheryl

We have one of the first ones made #33. While we have had some very minor issues, we aren't full timers. We only get to take it out for 3 weeks in the summer and the occasional weekend. We haven't even pulled it out of the garage yet this year. (We leave in 8 days). If you look at some of the older posts from when this board was first started, you can see what issues some of the "pioneer owners" have had.

Tom of Ypsi

I think if you read my posts you will see that I have had my share of problems and not all of my posts are in this forum, some were deleted when Jim took sole control of this forum. One thing that should be pointed out is KNOW WHO YOUR DEALER IS AND IS THE DEALER RELIABLE. I thought I had checked my dealership thoroughly but I am finding out what was once a good dealer is no longer true. I have heard many complaints about my dealership from Motorhome owners to the smallest trailer owners. The Heartland factory is top notch, backing what they sell, at least for me. Would I buy another, YES. In fact I tried to get the DW to trade in for a Monticello but it is a no go.
BTW I camped 67 days last year and only 28 days so far this year but I can count another 30 some days to go yet this year and I missed at least 10 days this year because of my dealer.

Midastouch

Thanks to all who responded! I suppose it's that ... "Am I doing the right thing" question that I have in my head right now ... I know that no RV I get will be without problems and I will deal with them ... Jim, I guess when you think about all the Bighorns sold vs the Landmarks ... that makes sense! I look for Landmark issues more, of course, but always seem to find myself reading about air conditioners, toilets, leaks, etc... and they seem to always be on the Bighorn posts, so I had to inquire!

John ... I know you keep the forum up to date with current events! I appreciate your posts and the info you have already given me ... thanks!
I am closing (hopefully) on the house Monday, so ... the order will be in and it will just be a matter of time before I head for Knoxville ... I feel the dealership will take care of me!

I'll be in my coach in a permanant spot for awhile when I get it home, so I should have plenty of time to get aquainted before we bump on down the road! Anxiety setting in, maybe! HEHE

jpmorgan37

Lynne;
I understand the "Am I doing the right thing?" question. Since we have been spending most of our time on the road, we decided to sell our "dream home on the lake". We are having an auction on August 19th and selling all of our earthly possessions, including our home, so, we are commited to "life on the road" for as long as we can or want to do it. Good luck with the closing and get over to Knoxville and "get it done".

John

davebennington

Lynne,

We do understand your concern about making a choice, really difficult when it comes to spending the amount of money involved in the purchase of a unit of this size. Everything that has been mentioned in the previous post is very true, look at the dealer ask alot of questions if you can, talk to others that have purchased from them. I have found that with the help and ideas from others on this forum problems can be solved. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty and jump in an fix things yourself. There may come a time when you have to so get ready now learn as much as possible about your unit from the get go. After looking many many months of looking we found a GREAT dealer however he is 2 1/2 hours away and with the price of fuel nowdays that doesn't make any sense to pull to him for a job that will take a hour to do when I might be able to do myself.

Dave:D

Midastouch

Thanks for the encouragement ...

Fortunately ... I have been blessed with both the motivation and pretty good skills as far as "do-it-yourself" type things! Anything I can take care of myself, I do ....if it's something new that I have no prior experience with, I'll tackle it! I also have a few helpful friends that will help when I decide I need it! :rolleyes:

If I make it through this "closing" without losing my mind ... I have decided that the purchase of my Grand Canyon will be my reward for all the hard work and heartache going on now! :D The Grand Canyon, for me, will be the reward! I'll keep ya'll posted!!!!!

I'll be looking forward to the next "gathering" ... towing my "new home" ...