Dissatisfied Customer

michael_s

Let me tell you a story about Heartland and Strafford Missouri, Camping World which starts August 31, 2009 and continues to date with no resolution.

On August 31, 2009 I arrived at the Strafford Missouri Camping World to take delivery of a new Hartland Big Country 3355RL 5th Wheel. There were many factors which lead me to selecting this 5th wheel being: the price, layout and design and lots of research indicating that Heartland has superior service and support; that to be questioned. During the inspection of the 5th wheel, with the Camping World representative, I noticed a bulge in the stairwell wall, the wall leading from the living area to the bathroom/bedroom area along with torn seals around the storage compartment doors, an extremely loud ceiling fan, and a few other minor deficiencies. The bulge in the wall concerned me. I told the Camping World representative that I would not take possession of the 5th wheel until I know what was causing the bulge. The rep had a mechanic remove the access panel in the storage area to try and identify the cause. The mechanic indicated that the bulge was caused by the sewer vent pipe pushing against the wall and that it could be taken apart and turned to elevate the problem. Because the Service Manager for Camping World of Strafford Missouri indicated that the problem could be easily repaired, and because I had come from another state to pickup the 5th wheel I decided that as long as all the faults were annotated and that Heartland was aware of the findings then I would take delivery. I was guaranteed, by the Service Manager, of Strafford Missouri, that any Camping World would be able to repair the problems. MORAL OF THIS PART, DON’T BELIEVE ANYTHING THAT CAMPING WORLD OF STRATTFORD MISSOURI TELLS YOU, AND DEFFENITLLY DON’T TAKE DELIVERY OF ANY UNIT FROM THEM WITHOUT EVERY PROBLEM BEING REPAIRED. Second, I wonder if I have any legal recourse that I can take against them for misleading me so that I would take possession of the camper. You will understand what I am talking about as you continue reading. There is more to this part but to keep it shot I will leave it out.

The next day, September 1, 2009 after my 800 mile trip home while cleaning and prepping the unit for use; I noticed that two of the bolts holding the rear awning arm were pulling away form the wall. I immediately contacted Camping World of Fountain, Colorado, to notify them of the findings; I was then informed that Camping World was not able to look at or perform services or warranty work on any Heartland Product. I immediately contacted Camping World of Strafford Missouri and asked them what was going on? Why Camping World of Colorado was unable to work on the Camper after they had guaranteed me that any Camping World would be able to perform the repairs on the 5th wheel. The Service Rep of Camping World Missouri told me that he would look into it and get back with me. Later that morning the Service Rep contacted me and informed me that there were problems between Heartland and Camping World and that they would not be able to provide any warranty work. He did provide me with a number to a service center in Colorado who would be able to assist. The only problem with this was that the company, he provided, had gone out of business. STRIKE TWO FOR CAMPING WORLD OF MISSOURI!!! I still question whether they know about the problems between Camping Word and Heartland and that was another reason they mislead me when I picked up the unit the day prior. Regardless, that same day after calling around to locate a dealer, which would work on my unit, I contacted Heartland Warranty Department and talked to Steve. I informed him of the awning problem and told him that I needed someone to look at the unit to determine what needed to be done to repair that problem. Obliviously this problem prevents the unit from being used. I was told to call and find an RV dealer that would repair the unit and they would coordinate with the dealer for payment. Unfortunately this is not a widely excepted practice; dealer want to be paid what they charge not what the manufacture is willing to pay for the repair. This proved to be a challenge.

About a week later I was contacted by Camping World of Missouri and informed that Camping World and Heartland had worked out their differences and that Camping World was now able to provide warranty work on my unit. I scheduled with Camping World of Fountain Colorado to have the problems repaired. On September 25, 2009 I received a call from Camping World of Fountain, informing me that we had a major problem. Apparently the Pipe in the wall that was causing the bulge was not a pipe at all and that the flooring in the bathroom, another problem that I identified as being loose in the corner, was not loose at all!!!! The problems were actually related. The problems turned out to be that the bathroom floor had been miss cut or put in improperly. There was a gap between the side wall and the floor of about one inch and the bulge in the wall was being caused by the floor edge pushing beyond the wall struts, causing the bulge. What is really sad is that who ever put the unit together, in the factory, know about the problem because it appears they went out of their way to hide the gap by putting a piece of half round along the wall to cover the gap and then putting long screws in the wall trying to pull the floor over to hid the bulge; unfortunately for them it did not work but sad for me because I have a unit that is not put together properly, that I am unable to use, and was told by Camping World of Strafford Missouri that it was just a pipe pushing against the wall. AND WE HAVE NOT EVEN DISCUSSED THE AWNING PROBLEM.

It was explained to me, by the Service Manager of Fountain Camping World, that Heartland had been contacted concerning the problem and that pictures had been sent, it was also indicated that even though they being Camping World of Fountain, wanted to perform the warranty work he, the Service Manager of Fountain, recommended that the camper be returned to the factory for proper repair. (At one point it was mentioned that all that needed to be done was put some screws in the wall to pull it together!! Don’t want to say who thought up that repair). By the time I found out about the problem it was late Friday evening and Heartland was closed. The following Monday I contacted Heartland and requested to speak with Steve, the point of contact that Fountain Camping World had been using, but according to the receptionist, he was out for the day. I tried again Tuesday, and again received the same information. I then requested to talk with anyone concerning the problem and was put through to Garry. Garry informed me that he would follow-up on the problem and get back with me. I waited all day Tuesday, no call I then call Wednesday and requested to talk with Garry, according to the receptionist he was on the phone. I explained the problem to the receptionist who then said they would put me through to another service rep; don’t recall his name. I explained the problem to him again; he said that he would follow-up and call me back. Wednesday afternoon he called and explained that Steve would be back tomorrow, Thursday, and sense he was working the problem would it be possible for me to wait until then. The Heartland Service Rep guaranteed me that he would place a high priority on the problem and have Steve contact me Thursday. He guaranteed me that if Steve was not in that he would call me back himself. Needless to say Thursday came and went and I received no phone calls for either of the Reps. It is now Friday a 10am and I have still not heard anything from Heartland concerning what will be done to provide me with a 5th wheel that is usable.

The following week I was contacted, by Steve, to discuss the issue. After explaining to Steve that I have had the unit for over a month with out being able to use it, I recommended that the unit be replaced with one that was ready for use. Steve explained that Heartland does not provide replacements, the unit would picked up and return it to the factory for repair. (I question this knowing that it was recommended that we just put screws in to pull the wall in to the floor closer together to remove the gap). What kind of repairs can I expect? What about the awning; putting longer screws into a wall that has already stripped out is not a fix but that is the fix for now. What will Heartland do to repair that?

On the 9th of October 2009 I signed and returned the release document, so that the unit could be returned to Heartland for Repair. This was after having to remove everything from the camper AGAIN. Finally, on the 23rd of October, two weeks after I returned to release document, someone arrived to transport the unit, to the factory, for repair. It was identified, during the conversations between Steve and I that I needed the camper back on later then mid November, because of a trip I have scheduled. I have already had to cancel two; I have no intention of canceling this one although I question whether they can meet the deadline they agreed to. Also during the conversations I asked that the warranty be extended or at least start from when I get the unit back from repairs, because I have not been able to use it due to the problems. I was told by Steve that that decision was above him and that he has addressed it higher. Still no word back on that.

What is sad about this whole situation is that I purchased a new 5th wheel and by the time I get to use it the awning will have to be repaired causing possible blemishes to the fiberglass sidewall or at least a weakened mounting area due to the already striped out hole and if it has to be moved all the mounting hardware will have to be relocated leaving holes in the rubber roof and other locations. The floor will have to be fixed and who know how this will be accomplished knowing that to do it right the whole floor would have to be removed and replaced, and lastly the worst part about all of this is that the factory allowed the unit to leave with these problems, knowing they existed.

As you can see I am not very happy with Heartland or their product. I have tried to contact someone at Heartland, other then Steve and his boss, but the receptionist will not put me through or provide an email address. Maybe I’m being unreasonable but as far as I am concerned Heartland should have provided me with a replacement unit long ago.

More to follow as this problem progresses.

Michael

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Michael,<O:p</O:p
Sorry to hear of your issues. My feeling is like you said early in your thread, “don't believe anything”....... this goes for any dealer IMHO. And true, all repairs should have been completed before you took possession. That said, I think Heartland will make it right but I do not believe that you are entitled to a replacement unit. All these issues can and will be addressed at the factory. I also believe they will fix your awning issue if you let them know. I realize this has been a frustrating time for you but also realize some of this is on you for taking the unit without repair and some of this is absolutely on CW and then Heartland. But I also believe that there is probably more to this story than what has been said so I will stop with my personal opinion and see what else happens from here.
<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Good luck,<O:p</O:p
Mark<O:p</O:p

txdds

Wow! I'm so sorry for all your problems. Sounds like this unit should not have left the factory. The guy that went out of his way to hide the floor problem should be fired. Heartlands should step up!

We picked up our new 3500 a few weeks ago...needed a few things looked at after our first trip. We purchased from a dealer in Sacramento(one hours drive). There is a CW five seconds from our house. I called Heartland and they said if CW would do the work, no need to take it back to Sacramento dealer. Made an appointment on the phone for repairs at CW. When I went into the CW the service department was VERY worried about taking my RV in for repair. Why....CW stated that they hadn't been paid for repairs from other units by Heartland approved work. OUCH! Ok, I hope they are just slow at paying and just not blowing CW off.

Hope you get your problems fixed or replaced...keep us posted.

jbeletti

Hopefully, Jim B will see this and "bump" it up a notch at HL.

Checked on this today John. Work begins on this coach tomorrow. I am pleased that we were given a shot at making this right. We are not perfect. Given a chance to correct our error is all we can ask. Sometimes we are given that chance. This one is a good example of that.

Jim

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
That is great to hear Jim. I hope that Michael will be pleased with the results.

Mark

bdunker

My trailer is setting at the repair shop of the dealer I bought it from, so far no major problems, but did on two occasions have a comment made to me that they will do no work on a Heartland without all of the paperwork done and closely scrutinized, complaints about slow pay by Heartland.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Wow Michael, I hate to hear about your problems but I can tell you from personal experience that what you encountered with the factory response does not seem to be SOP. I have found them to be very aggresive in returning phone calls and resolving issues.

It does sound like they have handled this very well so far. While it may seem that it took a long time to pick up the trailer after you signed the release, that was probably pretty quick considering all the other things that a factory has to handle during the course of a normal business day. While we all feel our problems are the most important (no matter what the business is) it is easy to forget that our problem is just one of many that has to be dealt with. I am not sure any other brand would have even picked up the trailer to bring it back to the factory.

I am curious why you decided to post this 4 days after the factory picked up the unit. Was it just time to vent???If so, I am sure the post DID NOT fall on deaf ears.

I hope your trailer is repaired properly and you enjoy it and this forum in the future.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
There is one thing that I can assure you of...Heartland will make proper repairs, in fact, your unit will be better than new when you get it back. My suggestion is calm down, give Heartland a chance to make things right, and they will...JMHO!!!:)

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Calm down and have a beer d00d. The Great Beletti has it all under control.

If he says something...you can take it to the bank.

Contact me off list for some information you might be interested in.

disposable1@leftyfrizzell.net

Last edited:

michael_s

Wow Michael, I hate to hear about your problems but I can tell you from personal experience that what you encountered with the factory response does not seem to be SOP. I have found them to be very aggresive in returning phone calls and resolving issues.

It does sound like they have handled this very well so far. While it may seem that it took a long time to pick up the trailer after you signed the release, that was probably pretty quick considering all the other things that a factory has to handle during the course of a normal business day. While we all feel our problems are the most important (no matter what the business is) it is easy to forget that our problem is just one of many that has to be dealt with. I am not sure any other brand would have even picked up the trailer to bring it back to the factory.

I am curious why you decided to post this 4 days after the factory picked up the unit. Was it just time to vent???If so, I am sure the post DID NOT fall on deaf ears.

I hope your trailer is repaired properly and you enjoy it and this forum in the future.
SouthernNights, I think you have a valid question and one that deserves a response. Why did I wait until 4 days after they picked up the unit to post the message?
First let me reiterate that I have owned a unit, which has been unusable for the past two months so maybe I just wanted to vent. Through the course of the last two months I have been told that I would be contacted and I was not; so maybe I wanted everyone that raves about how great the customer service is to know my problems. Next, I agreed to transporting the unit back to the factory for repairs and it has taken two week for them to pick it up knowing that I needed the unit back, by mid November, to prep it for a scheduled trip; with everything that I have experienced to date I just don’t think that they will be able to meet the deadline. I have already canceled two trips I’m not going to cancel another. Or maybe I’m felt that it was time to let everyone know what I have experienced. I knew that using this form would get the attention of the decision makers. Regardless, I feel that I have been more then understanding for the past two months and now it’s time to get results. Let me ask you this; how long would you go without your new car before you started to voice your opinion? Or better yet how long would you have waited for your new trailer that had major problems?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hi Michael S,
I see you are new to the forum. We do appreciate hearing from new owners but we also appreciate hearing from satisfied owners. I am sure most of us could tell our horror stories and some even worse than what you have experienced. The bottom line is in almost every case I know of and have heard of Heartland has stood behind their product lines during and in many cases after the warranty period. Many times Heartland has gone over and above what they were required to do. Please keep us informed of how your repairs turn out and how your coach works out in the long run as I am sure after all of the 'bumps' are gone you will have something that will serve you well for a long time. Good luck...

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
SouthernNights,... Let me ask you this; how long would you go without your new car before you started to voice your opinion? Or better yet how long would you have waited for your new trailer that had major problems?

Well, being an extremely patient person, I am proud to tell you I waited almost 3 minutes after I found a problem before I jumped up and down...:D (really)

I am not making light of your problem. It hurts to spend this kind of money and the unit not be what you expected. It does appear you have the right people involved now which is the key to resolving anything.

From your story, it appears that alot of time was wasted with CW. You may have been caught in the middle of CW recieving a bailout from from Thor Ind. and kicking out all the competition from their lots includng Heartland. Who knows if they really ever straightened that out but at least in your case it doesnt matter, your trailer is in good hands at the factory.

geeksrus

michael_s

I for one feel for you... I am disappointed in the number of problems I've had with my unit.
Also, I have found that Heartland's Customer Service is very hit-and-miss. YES, at times they DO NOT return your phone calls & emails, even when they have said they'd get back to you. It seems they are extremely busy... maybe because there are too many problems with their products.

Eh!

rckc228

Why are these units leaving the factory with these problems. I love my Landmark but have had several minor problems ,and a few major problems. Heartland and my dealers have been wonderful. All of these problems could have been taken care of with quality control at the factory.
I do have a Friend who did not have the same experience with his dealer. Heartland was wonderful but because of trying to do the right thing and go through the dealership first he lost most of the summer camping season.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Checked on this today John. Work begins on this coach tomorrow. I am pleased that we were given a shot at making this right. We are not perfect. Given a chance to correct our error is all we can ask. Sometimes we are given that chance. This one is a good example of that.

Jim

Hey, Jim, you did me right on my awning situation last month. Somebody called somebody, and they called me on my cell phone (where'd they get it??) You got my vote :D. And while at the dealer for the awning, HL covered the repair of my warped bedroom flooring without a blink. The work order reads like they had to pull the front end apart to fix it.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.:eek:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Geeks, just wondering...............do you ever have anything nice to say about HL. It seems that the only time you post anything is to pour more salt in a wound. EH. JMHO:D

chasdvorak

We have owned 2 different SOB's before buying our 2009 BH 3580 and have had some minor and one major problem with all of them. We purchased the Heartland BH because it suited our needs and was heads and shoulders above the competition in looks, features and price. After owning the BH for a season, I could suggest a few improvements, but I realize that I didn't purchase a Landmark or a custom built coach....I feel I got what I paid for and then some.

We purchased our BH at a Camping World because we had a great price and a really decent saleman. I can only blame myself because I rushed the dealer inspection and missed some items, including a floor bulge. I didn't have the opportunity to return the unit to Camping World because I was fortunate to attend the Goshen Rally and the HL crew fixed the open issues and the floor bulge. I had one other open item which was more of a cosmetic issue (wanted to chage a sink fixture), and Heartland sent the item a few days later at no additional charge. They really did an impressive job considering the number of units at the rally.

I recently had a nagging problem with a sticky check valve that was intermittent and difficult to troubleshoot. I was on the road and a warranty repair shop was not avaialble, so I paid for the repairs. I sent Heartland a letter with the defective part and Eric (same crew that took care of business in Goshen), contacted me within a few days and advised that HL would pick up the tab on the repairs.

I believe that HL is in the business to profit from a product that will satisfy a customers needs. I think their sales success for a young company speaks volumes. I also think that they are more than willing to listen to their customers and respond in an appropriate manner. The issues we discover can only improve the quality of the product.

No one understands the hardship of this financial crisis better than the folks in Elkhart, IN. I don't believe HL will let quality or service become an issue that puts them out of business. My hope is that this financial crisis will end soon and HL will become an even better company with more customers.

I don't know or understand all of the business issues with the RV industry, dealers etc, but I do know that we had a great season with our coach and look forward to several more in the future. My only advice regarding service issues is to give HL a chance to respond. It's worked for me.

Chuck Dvorak

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
SouthernNights, I think you have a valid question and one that deserves a response. Why did I wait until 4 days after they picked up the unit to post the message?
First let me reiterate that I have owned a unit, which has been unusable for the past two months so maybe I just wanted to vent. Through the course of the last two months I have been told that I would be contacted and I was not; so maybe I wanted everyone that raves about how great the customer service is to know my problems. Next, I agreed to transporting the unit back to the factory for repairs and it has taken two week for them to pick it up knowing that I needed the unit back, by mid November, to prep it for a scheduled trip; with everything that I have experienced to date I just don’t think that they will be able to meet the deadline. I have already canceled two trips I’m not going to cancel another. Or maybe I’m felt that it was time to let everyone know what I have experienced. I knew that using this form would get the attention of the decision makers. Regardless, I feel that I have been more then understanding for the past two months and now it’s time to get results. Let me ask you this; how long would you go without your new car before you started to voice your opinion? Or better yet how long would you have waited for your new trailer that had major problems?

If you wanted the attention of the decision makers, maybe you should have contacted them directly, instead of "venting" here on the forum. People are ususally much more receptive when they are not being "hung out to dry" in public.

As for "how long would I have waited"...imagine being a fulltimer like us and having major problems. Well we did have major problems, we contacted Heartland directly when the dealer couldn't/wouldn't handle the problem AND we did it privately...response was immediate and swift! Worrying about a trip wasn't our issue...it was a place to live while the unit was repaired. From your OP it seems most of your issue is with the dealer taking so much time, not Heartland, give them the chance to make it good. And as for how long it took for them to pick it up, I'd bet they had to wait until they had a unit coming that way and had that driver return with your unit...if I was in their business that's what I'd have done...I wouldn't have sent a driver just to pick yours up, that would be fiscally irresponsible...JMHO.

geeksrus

Geeks, just wondering...............do you ever have anything nice to say about HL. It seems that the only time you post anything is to pour more salt in a wound. EH. JMHO:D

Yes I do say positive things about HL, including their excellent cabinets, overall interior layout, exterior looks. But that doesn't balance with what I consider poor quality of components & workmanship.

Eh!