Cracked Frame

Driver

Well, like the post says cracked frame. The frame is cracked above the axles in multiple places. I bought this trailer over a year and half ago September of 2007. I started this adventure in july of this year. I first contacted Heartland then, the dealer. Dealer started dealing with Lippert, they said out of warranty (Trailer was manufactured in 06) They have a two year warranty. Heartland flat out said, not there frame and they were not fixing it. Called the insurance and after all their steps, looks like normal wear and tear and they were not going to fix it. Normal wear and tear, get real this is a manufacture's defect. The problem is the hangs are too long and the frame is to WEAK and the gussets are way too short. When you have the bolts in the last hole and every time you turn your trailer that causes the frame to flex and crack. Also, there is another trailer in town that has a cracked frame that lipperted came out and looked at. The tech said that was the worst he has seen, as if he seen a lot of cracked frames. So, everyone needs to check there frames above their axles for cracks, since it looks like there is a problem going on here before someone gets hurt or god for bid gets killed from this.

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
Please send pictures ASAP. I can't imagine having something like this occur and not be warranted by the final assembly company. I have noticed noise when jacking my unit off the pin that gives me the creeps.

FJ

Taz Devil

Mine creeks and groans also when unhitching it. I guess I will get under there this weekend and take a look.

Driver

Here are some pictures that I have.

Attachments

• HPIM3209.JPG
    HPIM3209.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 546
  • HPIM3216.JPG
    HPIM3216.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 515
  • HPIM3218.JPG
    HPIM3218.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 522

Driver

This you can not see the cracks by the photo but, the crack is by the weld.

Attachments

• HPIM3214.JPG
    HPIM3214.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 420
  • HPIM3217.JPG
    HPIM3217.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 403

imchud

I know it's not the fix you are looking for, and I know nothing about
Structural strength of a frame but if no one will take ownership, cant you just have it welded or a plate installed and welded in place? just curious...

Tommy

escs36

its metal. almost anything can be fixed. the only problem i see is that after a repair, it then breaks right next to the repair. it is time to reinforce that section of the frame. in all honesty, that does not look like a big deal to me. you can can take it to a truck repair shop. dump trucks, cement trucks crack frames all the time.

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
However, the point is that this should not be happening on a recreational vehicle that costs as much as these units do. And that the manufacturer of the final product should be on this issue like the white on rice.

I too will be under the unit tomorrow to take a look. Thanks for the photos.

FJ

Northern Virginia

Not to insult your intelligence, but how can you tell the metal is cracked? From the pictures it looks as if some of the paint is blistered and the paint has cracked from the metal rusting.

I think you should clean it up real good with a wire brush on a grinder. A welding supply store has dye that you can apply to the metal that will turn pink in any cracks. And if it does, in fact, have cracks it will stand out like a sore thumb.

My 2 cents

John

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Not to insult your intelligence, but how can you tell the metal is cracked? From the pictures it looks as if some of the paint is blistered and the paint has cracked from the metal rusting.

I think you should clean it up real good with a wire brush on a grinder. A welding supply store has dye that you can apply to the metal that will turn pink in any cracks. And if it does, in fact, have cracks it will stand out like a sore thumb.

My 2 cents

John

That is exactly what we are seeing!! Really don't see anything that looks like a crack in the steel....:confused:

Driver

Yes, it looks like the paint is cracked but, when you look in person you can see the cracks. After this picture was taking the paint was taking off and heated up. You could whatch the crack grow.
Also, the crack was found by a buiness I had some repairs done at. They are very good at what they do.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It is somewhat odd for a crack to appear in the middle of a steel plate, like the frame beam. Is there something welded on the other side, like another angle reinforcement? Poor welding techniques may be the cause.

escs36

it definetely should not be happening...if in fact it happened, you think heartland would fix the problem with no questions asked, inside or outside of the factory warranty. followed by a confidentiality statement that this problem will not be made public.

since in fact you are experiencing the problem, get it fixed. no big deal. if it happened to me, i would swear hearland up and down. fix the problem, take the trailer out and enjoy the heck out of it. you have to admit that these trailers are so much fun to take out. i think if it gets fixed correctly, it is a done deal.

Driver

it definetely should not be happening...if in fact it happened, you think heartland would fix the problem with no questions asked, inside or outside of the factory warranty. followed by a confidentiality statement that this problem will not be made public.

since in fact you are experiencing the problem, get it fixed. no big deal. if it happened to me, i would swear hearland up and down. fix the problem, take the trailer out and enjoy the heck out of it. you have to admit that these trailers are so much fun to take out. i think if it gets fixed correctly, it is a done deal.

Yea, it would be nice if Heartland stepped up and fixed there problem. But, they flat out said that it is not there frame so it is not there problem and that I would have to call Lippert to get it fixed. I have not said a thing for the last four months that I have been dealing with this problem. Now, since everybody is turning there back on this problem I am now letting everyone know that they need to check there frames since it was built wrong and there is a problem here that needs to be checked.

michael_s

Driver, I understand your frustration as I to have been experiencing HL’s support. I hope that you get some sort of resolution. If not at least the satisfaction of knowing that others are aware of the problem. I do believe that people who research prior to purchasing products are persuaded by what they read.

dougw

Do you have any idea what might have caused the problem? frame flexing from off road use, lack of supports? something else that might have stressed the frame like jacking? I'm just asking so maybe it won't happen to others.

wdk450

Possible Cause???

Do you have any idea what might have caused the problem? frame flexing from off road use, lack of supports? something else that might have stressed the frame like jacking? I'm just asking so maybe it won't happen to others.

Chinese Steel

Driver

Yes, I have a good idea. The hangers on the trailer has adjustable holes, I put mine in the last hole to raise the trailer up for my truck. Now what happens is you lengthen the pivot point plus with the tall frame that is thin causing the frame to flix. Also, add the wieght of the trailer. They also have real short guesits that does no good when you do this.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
stress fractures

My two cents worth! These appear to be stress fractures. A good welding shop should be able to weld these and plate them so it will be stronger than ever.