Quality of My New Cyclone 3010

Yianni

It seems people post mostly when there is a problem. When all is going well, they usually don't take the time so I thought I give my initial impressions of my new 2010 Cyclone 3010.
I drove from California to Ohio to pick it up. I wanted to do the pdi in person. This is after all a very big purchase. The dealership was great. Had it all set up for me to spend the night in and then do the pdi in the morning. I was ready with paper and pen in hand to write down all the stuff that would need to be fixed. To my surprise, 15 minutes after the pdi I was on my way with just a few door locks needing adjustment. I towed it home and camped in it from Ohio to California. I came through a storm in Missouri and Oklahoma I've never seen the likes of before coming from California. It rained so hard visibility was close to none and people were pulled over on the freeway. I thought if this thing doesn't leak it will be a miracle. I made it to KOA in Amarillo and again to my surprise, a little water in one window track. The rest was completely dry.
I know I've only had it a few weeks but everything worked well from the get go and the quality of the fit and finish is very good.
The wiring in the basement is all tied and very neat. It's nice Heartland listens.
Anyway, good job Heartland. I feel we got a very good trailer for our first fifth wheel.
Here are a couple of pictures of the basement and after finally getting her home.

DSC02239.jpg

DSC02241.JPG

DSC02343.JPG

DSC02344.JPG

dougw

Nice! Thanks for sharing. We pick ours up on saturday, can't wait. Any suggestions on things to look for beside the pdi I downloaded and printed?

best of luck.
Doug

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Great to hear about "Happy Campers". If ever in Amarillo Tx again check out Oasis RV Park on the west side right on I40. Great park great prices. Congratulations on your Cyclone.

bigredtruck

Glad to hear everything went well with you. We have also been very happy with our Cyclone and a year later, have had very few problems. KNOCK ON WOOD!!!

porthole

Retired
Nice! Thanks for sharing. We pick ours up on saturday, can't wait. Any suggestions on things to look for beside the pdi I downloaded and printed?

My suggestion is to plan on an hour or two by yourself, before the PDI.
I spent the night in mine before we did the PDI.

After your PDI is done and you have run some hot and cold water cycles through everything I would suggest you check all the hose connections and the sink traps.
They tend to loosen up it seems after the first couple of cycles.

How "nit picky" you get really depends on how far you have to travel "after the fact"

I spent the time at the dealer with mine, ended up having everything taken care of (between the dealer and the factory which was just down the road) and have had very little to deal with since then.

Doesn't matter how thorough you are, you are still liable to miss an item or two.

4x4given

This is an ecouraging thread. My wife and I just "discovered" that the Cyclone might be for us. Thanks for sharing!

rtataryn

Yianni,

Glad to hear you finally got it! We are very pleased with our 3010 too. It is a very well built unit - much better than our previous 5th wheel from another manufacturer. Ours has functioned great too. The only issue we had with ours was the Shurflo water pump went out, but Shurflo replaced it immediately with no hassle. Look forward to hearing more about your 3010. Be sure to post any upgrades.

Congratulations.

Rod

santafedave

Santafedave
3795 Cyclone

I have had my Cyclone for about 6 months now and I have been to Southern California (Dumont Dunes), Stonyford Riding area (Northern Cal), Coos Bay Oregon (Hauser Beach) and a few weekenders here and there. I havn't had any problems with my Cyclone that I couldn't fix myself. The light fixture covers seen to not want to stay on by themselves, but, other than that things are going well for me and my Cyclone. D.:angel:

Ronn

This is really great information, since I leave Friday to pickup my new 3010. Reno to Indiana and back. Would love to hear more about what to look for that first day before that dealer never sees me again...

jbeletti

Ronn,

Above, on the navigation bar, there is a link called Wiki. Go into the Wiki and look for several PDI files. These are check lists of things a few RVers have come up with to check out when you are picking up your coach. From those, you can make your own list. There are a few items on your Cyclone that are unique and may not be on the PDI list. A couple that come to mind:
- Ramp door
- Electric beds
- Patio screen

Do a thorough inspection - plan to stay for at least 1 night in it and take it back to the dealer for any last minute tweaks. Have fun!

Jim

Vtxkid

Check all the different systems you can in the time frame you have. Make sure they give you all the paperwork/ manuals including the Heartland Owners manual... plus, they should give you a 5 gallon pale with a bunch of goodies inside like a sewage hose; water pressure restrictor; black tank tablets, etc... Oh, and one more thing which I didn't get and failed to notice was the inspection sticker! Good luck and happy camping!!!

tgreening

I've had my '11 3950 for a couple months now, but only managed to stay in it a few days. Overall I like the rig very well. Lay out works perfect for us with 2 little girls and dog. Last time out our departure day from the campground was their closing day. Getting ready to button up and the slides were DOA all around. After checking the hyd fluid tank and finding it empty I looked around in the under belly and saw big puddles of hyd fluid pooled on top the belly cover. I finally managed to get in contact with someone at Lippert who confirmed it was just ATF so I filled her up and got out of there. The float for the fuel tank was DOA. Recline handle on my Euro Chair was broken on delivery. Lighter for the stove gave up the ghost on that trip as well. Good news is my dealer got it all pretty much taken care of and did it fairly quick once parts were received.

New float fixed that problem. Ignition for the stove was just a wire that disconnected itself. Hyd. leak was apparently a bad fitting and o-ring. Chair handle is on its way and I'll fix myself.

The part that disappointed me the most was the shear amount of trash floating around on top of that belly cover. There were black ABS pipe fittings, at least one black iron pipe fitting, numerous pieces of snipped off hydraulic and water hose, scads of snipped off bits of wire, wire ties, etc. I mean, I really like the unit and the overall quality seems higher than most, but all that trash just makes me think that in-process quality control is slim to none. Inspection seems superficial at best. New buyers should REALLY look things over when picking up. Ours had sawdust everywhere inside that a casual inspection didn't reveal. Some of the storage areas had the tin cut outs still inside from access holes that were cut for various reasons. Things of that nature. Nothing to affect overall performance but to me it's a quality related attention to detail kind of thing. The season is pretty much over for us up here in the Buckeye but next summer it should get a pretty good workout and then I'll have a better idea of how things are going to go from a durability standpoint.

Vtxkid

I winterized mine this weekend and in the process, I had to get behind the ODU to reach the valves to the water heater, found the same as far as saw dust and plenty of trimmings that were left laying around. Even found an extra 15 amp fuse laying below the fresh water pump fuse holder. Checked my RG-59 black tv cable/ satellite/ splitter connections just to see if they were tight and found several loose...
I am also happy with the overall quality of the unit but gezzzz, a little cleanup would go a long way at the factory...

tgreening

I am also happy with the overall quality of the unit but gezzzz, a little cleanup would go a long way at the factory...

I agree but from I understand this is unfortunately par for the course. This past summer I happened to swing by the Glacier Bay factory, unannounced, and went for a little tour with my buddy and the owner of Glacier Bay. At the time they had one unit under construction and from what I could tell it was clean as a whistle. The shell and bulk of the interior was complete but there were no slides installed, etc. Just big gaping holes where the slides went. According to him he is one of the only builders whose people get paid by the hour and not by how many units they can bang out in a day. It appears to work because his construction looked first rate, and it was CLEAN. Next time around I'd give serious thought to his company if it still exists in its current configuration.