Satellite TV - Ext Cable Inlet

LookN4Ward

One advantage of a satellite TV subscription is that you can use your subscription while camping or snow-birding. The complexity of setting up satellite TV is can be daunting if you are doing it yourself. One of the challenges is understanding how to use the exterior cable inlet built into the trailer with satellite TV, Direct TV (DTV) in my case.

In setting up satellite TV I first worked on getting the signal from the satellite to my DTV receiver. DTV provides the location coordinates for the dish on their web site. Fortunately my neighbor had a signal tester to aide me. Now the issue became how to configure the trailer cable wiring to work with the DTV receiver. You will learn quickly that simply running your cable from the dish to the exterior cable inlet does nothing.

In my case I removed the interior television outlet to get at the wiring. There are three cable connections attached to the television outlet. Using a female to female adapter I was able to determine which cable I could use to get the satellite signal to my DTV receiver *(on the back of the plate cover there is embossed labels). Simply put, disconnect the center cable from the splitter device and use an adapter to connect the DTV receiver satellite in cable to the center cable. Image attached.

*I purchased a connector/adapter from Radio Shack that has a washer and nut. I drilled a 3/8" inch hole in the cover plate above the OEM outlet to mount the adapter.

I've also included an image of my DIY dish mount. Using 2"X4" and some plywood I constructed a 18" X 24" platform. I drilled 4 holes, one in each corner, and used some threaded carriage bolts to aid in leveling.

One suggestion for future designs is to build a satellite cable connector into the unit.
*my edits

Attachments

• tv_splitter.JPG
    tv_splitter.JPG
    294.4 KB · Views: 74
  • dish_mount.JPG
    dish_mount.JPG
    354 KB · Views: 58
Last edited: