Shocks for the TV..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Have read a few threads about changing out the shocks and using Bilstein shocks.

How do you determine when you need to replace shocks.

Now I know there is going to be some good answers, like:
When they are hanging down and dragging the ground.:cool:
When they look like they are in two pieces.:confused:
When your truck goes clang clang :eek:

My truck rides pretty good but sometime the bumps seem pretty hard.

BC

DMitch

Look at the rubber bushings in each end and make sure they are good. Also if they show signs of leaking, that is a sure sign that they are not working properly. I'm sure others will have more ideas.

All the best,

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Push down on the corners of your Tow Vehicle as hard as you can. They should pop right back up without bouncing. If they bounce up and down, the shocks are getting bad.

2010augusta

The only way to tell for sure is to pull them off the truck and then push and pull on them. If they are "cheap" shocks then they should stay in any postion and have a nice smooth motion in both directions. If they are "good" shocks then they will self extend to the full limit and have a good deal of resistance when trying to push back, but still a smooth motion through the entire range of travel. Any signs of leaking = bad shock. If the shocks will colaspe in a vertical position without any aid then thay are also bad. If you can hear/feel bubbles during the motions then it could use replacing.

michael_s

TX, all of the recommendations are good ones. Pushing down on the of the corner of the vehicle and then watching for bounce is a good indications of bad shocks as well as worn bushing and signs of leakage. Some companies provide a replacement schedule or even recommend that shocks be replaced and a certain mileage. Extremely worn shocks can also cause uneven tire ware and loose or soft steering. Best is to have the shocks checked when the frontend alignment is checked. The mechanic will be able to determine if the shocks are in need of replacement.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bobcat, do as most people have suggested. But as far the shocks causing tire wear....IMHO they dont. After being an auto tech for 45 years, shocks do not hold up any part of the suspension or support the vehicle in any way.. All they do is dampen the "shocks" of the road. They have no bearing on caster/camber. In Michaels defence though, a missing or very weak shock can cause a tire to bounce off the ground while driving on a rough road the same as a badly out of balance tire can. If this was happening you would know it....trust me. That wear pattern is a cupping look to the tires. Any other wear pattern is alignment or not rotating the tires. The other.... Bob:D:D

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks Guys.. I had heard a lot of what was posted..

Another said if you have the original shocks and over about 60k miles they most likely are gone or going...

I have almost 90k on my 2006 F250..
I am looking at the Bilstein shocks.. I have heard they are a good quality brand.

Thanks again..
BC

michael_s

Bob, I agree. Although I was not going to get into great detail the hopping or bouncing will cause a cupping of the tires which is the wear I was referring to.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bobcat, most people like the Bilstiens. I will replace mine with them when the time comes.

Michael, no malace intended. Just wanted to clear up what a "shocks" purpose is. There have been lots and lots of people sold shocks because of tire wear. I guess my post was to warn people about buying shocks to fix an alignment problem. There are some that are unsure about how somethings work. The more information we can put forth on this forum the better informed we will all be. Hope we are kwel:cool: Trust me, I still ask questions about our 5'er. The other.......... Bob:D:D

michael_s

Bob, No malice taken. I agree with you 100%; the worst thing that can happen to anyone is being taken advantage of by a company trying to make money. In the future I will put forth a little more effort when providing information so that everyone understands. Thanks again for clarifying my original post and I do believe we are kwel

kkamshop

I just put KYB Monomax shocks on my truck but we haven't put it to the tow test yet. I hope it makes for a nice ride as we are headed to FL in November and that will be a looooonnnnnnggg ride if the shocks aren't right.

:)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My new 2010 F350 FX4 came with the Bilstein shocks. Great shocks. FYI - While working for Houston Police Dept the police cars were specked out with the Bilstein shocks. I tested several police cars some with and some without the Bilsteins and the ones with the Bilstein shocks handled the best. There was one I tested with standard shocks that you couldn't even control when doing hard (violent) manuvers such as a serpentine course.

lwmcguir

We have Bilstein's with >100K and they are still like new. Takes a big fellow to push them down. Great shock as all the others have stated.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks Guys...
I think I am going to bite the bullet and get some new Blistein's and get them put on the F250. I would rather get new ones now than later.

I don't think OEM shocks usually last a long time...

BC