A year later and a LOT of research... (LONG POST)

4x4given

First, I apologize for this being a LONG post, but this is a big decision and it has required a LOT of research over the past year.

So, here goes. We've been researching, going to shows visiting numerous dealers and looking at 5er's for about a year now. We plan to full time at some point and we don't plan to travel a whole lot.

Until yesterday, we felt that none of the TH's were "residential" enough for us. Neither of us like the cold, antiseptic look of the gray color schemes that seem so prevalent with most TH's. We also didn't care for how so few of them have what we consider to be a real "living" area. You know, a couch, chairs, fireplace, nice TV etc, or decent kitchen counter space.

The reason we wished we could find a TH that could be used as a full timer is because we also ride scooters. Well, I use the term scooters to affectionately refer to our motorcycles. I've been an active rider for over 40 years and have owned about 30 bikes. Tina rode as a teen (even had her own dirt bike) and off and on for a few years after we got married. She really got the 'bug' a couple years ago to get a Harley. She got a Sportster, rode it for a year and then traded it for a Deluxe. I have an older Electra Glide Ultra Classic (being converted into a Street Glide) and we ride as often as we get time.

Anyway, we *REALLY* would like to have our scooters with us when we travel, camp or eventually (hopefully) go full timing. BUT, we don't want to be driving tow different tow vehicles. Also, we don't think a Class A or Class C would be a good solution for us and we aren't interested in double towing.

So... I happened to stumble back across a Heartland Cyclone 3612 ad, with a bunch of good pictures and thought... hmmm this *might* work! I check and the local ExploreUSA (Kyle, TX) had one. I called the factory and spoke with Mike Alpin and he confirmed that it could definitely carry both of our bike, which together weigh about 1,500lbs. I'm pretty comfortable that our 2007 Ford F350 DRW (Super Cab, auto, 4x4, 6.0L PSD, tow package) can tow it, but fully loaded it would be a bit over the truck's rated 16,800lbs fifth wheel towing capacity. Our truck is rated a bit lower than the 4.30 geared model (we have 3.73's), but we aren't in a hurry, don't drive fast, won't be towing a lot, live in the flat lands of Texas, so I really think we're OK. It's got a B&W flip over gooseneck hitch and we are planning on getting the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch, which will just drop right in and is rated at 18,000lbs.

So, back to the Cyclone 3612. We went over to ExploreUSA and had a look at the unit they had in stock and I can truthfully say we were both very impressed with the fit, finish and apparent quality of the construction. The design was "residential" enough for us and we could definitely see ourselves in this unit in the near future. :)

There were a couple things we would like to see done differently, though.

1 - Resize the window over the dining area so the overhead cabinets above the couch could run the full length of that slide. ;)

2 - Add a flip counter extension to increase counter space.

3 - Offer a dinette option.

Oh... a dinette option... hmmm... Tina then discovered that a 3812 does have a dinette! We would like to see this, because once parked, we could unload the scooters, move the dinette to the garage, move the euro loungers from the garage to the space where the dinette was and voila! We get to have what we feel is more of a "living" room! ;)

We also think we can modify the 3812 entertainment area to install a fireplace, move the TV down about 6" - 8", move the AV equipment above the TV and have a REALLY nice "living" area. :cool:

Now, we get our scooters, a "residential" feeling 5er that is a quality unit and has plenty of seating for guests!

So... the hunt is on for a good price on a 3812. :D

Thanks, Heartland, for realizing that not everybody ride dirt bikes or goes to the races all the time. Some of us over 50 have "toys", enjoy "amenities" and appreciate quality design and construction.

Humbly,

Dutch & Tina
dutch-and-tina-guadalupe-640x480-1.jpg

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Nice scooters you have ther.

Glad to hear you were impressed with the Cyclone. Did you happen to see this in the cherry interior? Some I really liked when they did it. Keep checking things out here on the forum and I am sure you will find all the answers and more.

Good luck,
Mark

4x4given

Yes, the 3612 we looked at was in cherry (the wood). We like that too, as our current home is that way. I don't remember what the interior decor was and since it had just arrived, it is not yet on the website.

I wish they had a 3812, we would have to drive about 65 miles (one way) to see that one. Maybe this weekend. ;)

jbeletti

Nice pic Dutch and Tina. Great story as well. If you are at all able to do this, I'd like to encourage you to make an appointment with the Cyclone team and get to Elkhart to tour the plant while they are running the model(s) you have the most interest in. That way, you can see them built, then really take your time in and around the one you like most, making notes about what you'd change, once you got it.

We don't build custom RVs by any stretch but there are times when certain items can be added/deleted/substituted. There are a lot of dependencies but it's worth considering and asking for.

Mike Aplin is a great resource and I am happy to hear that you are fully plugged in with him.

Best of luck to you in your search and whatever the outcome is (HRV or SOB), happy camping.

Jim

Yianni

Dutch, Holman's in Ohio has 2 3612's. They have a 3850 also. Not sure the difference between that and the 3812.
Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

plumberdude

hello dutch and tina,
sounds like your on the right track. this form is and has alot of info.
my wife and i also have bikes 07 goldwing trike and i have 08 roadglide in three weeks we are going to dallas to pick -up ours. 3914. have fun good luck.
see ya on the road.
pat