Spot On Service from General RV

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We just picked up our BH from the Birch Run, MI facility, where it's been since Sept. 29. No, it didn't take them that long, we were out of town for two weeks and they held it for us. They replaced the Dometic awning motor that died early in September, and resulted in a problem with sending the parts to their authorized service tech in northern MI. Jim B took my posted complaint, sent it up, and Dometic called me "up there." Result was to send parts to General since we were getting ready to leave our seasonal site. General was informed by Dometic, however, that the adjustable awning arm replacement kit is not available for our particular model number (??). While discussing things with the service advisor (Jackie) at General, I pointed out the squeak in the bedroom floor. Their inspection revealed that the flooring under the bed and in the closet was warped. HL authorized the warranty work to repair it, which sounds like the front cap and a whole lot of other stuff got removed to fix the flooring. Besides the awning, I had wanted General to repack the wheel bearings, adjust the main slide, fix a small hole in the rubber roof (side glance from falling branch) and fix the trim on the entertainment slide. Since they had it, I had them winterize the rig, too. All done. Also had them install a window awning on the main slide to cover both windows. Matches the main awning exactly. Based on someone else's post about Dometic getting sticky on refer warranties and annual inspections, I had that done, too. Included cleaning the back side and the burner area. Only open item is the rear window screen, which is warped such that there is a gap at the top that can allow adventurous winged nasties inside if we open the window. They'll see if they can get me a replacement.

There was no rush to get me out of there, either. We talked with Jackie, went over the work order, while they pulled the rig out and we were told to look it over and then come back in to finalize everything.

All in all, I am completely satisfied with the service and personal treatment I get when I go there. Unlike some of the horror stories I've read about other dealers, I've never been given a line of B.S. or the "bum's rush," or not received call backs, when needed.

bighorn3370

JohnDar, I'm glad that General took care of you. I have dealt with the Wixom location and have usually not had any problems with work being done. I have bought three units from them. I got it right on the last one. However, I think it is funny that I still haven't heard from General on a repair approval or denial about my slideouts. I had asked about warranty consideration from HL, knowing that my BH is out of warranty for the slideouts. General had me bring my BH up to them to look at it. I had emailed them pictures that I took of the slideouts. General said they would call HL on Monday; this was over a month ago. I still have not heard back from them. I talked to Tim (HL rep) at the Novi show. Within two weeks, HL sent me a kit to fix the slidouts. Next time, maybe I should take the BH to Birch Run.

JohnDar

I can't explain why your problem did not get taken care of as quickly as you would have liked. But did you call them, say after a week, to inquire on the status? Sometimes all it takes is a proactive reminder to get it pulled out of the pile and placed back on top. In my service dealings with General, I also keep our salesperson in the loop by e-mail. And she responds.

bighorn3370

JohnDar, I'm sorry I did not reply yesterday. I did not call General back because about week after I talked with service, I was at the RV show and was able to talk to Tim the HL rep. He asked for my VIN and phone number. Then Heartland sent me my kit. I do agree that a phone call should have been made. I work at a Johne Deere dealer, so I understand what can happen when dealing with service. Also, like I said, I have had them do work before without any problems, both with warranty and cutomer pay service work. I guess that I was a bit one-sided, but the service manager was training new employees from Florida because they just bought a new dealer down there. General also made the comment that the Michigan and Ohio markets were not doing so well. I felt if they are not doing so well that maybe they would get back to me. Even if HL was not going to cover the repair, they could at least get me a quote. I can't sell parts to my customers if I don't call them back. I'm just glad that they took good care of you, and I hope that I explained myself better this time.

JohnDar

No problem, I understand. Been doing customer service related jobs since I first started working....eons ago. Didn't always have happy, smiling, rational "customers" across the desk, either. But, as a satisfied General RV (Birch Run, anyways) customer, I wanted to post some positive info about them. General RV has taken their share of hits on these forums, too. But then we only get one side of the story. Sometimes when reading the posts about all the dealer problems, I wonder if you analyzed it all if you could count all the reliable Heartland dealers across the country on one hand and still be able to "salute" the rest. I hope not.