Kitchen slide out problems

I want to let everyone know about my problem with the kitchen slide out so that they can check their unit before any damage occurs.
My unit is a 08 but I haven’t used it much until this year. When I extended the slides out, the kitchen slide was dragging and tore up the flooring in the kitchen. Since it was out of warranty I figured I would check it out. What happed is that the roller supports broke loose allowing the slid to drag the floor. The supports were mounted with wood screws which had pulled out of the wood. I replaced the screws with bolts, fender washers and nylon locking nuts.
These things happen, and there is always room for improvement. We love our 3670RL.

Jack

Attachments

• Kitchen Slide Out Damage.pdf
    772.2 KB · Views: 172

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Jack,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune but thankfully you were able to fix it better than new. Good job and thank you for sharing.

Mark

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Sorry to hear this happened, however, I think we may have the same problem on our 08' 3600. Our slide has dropped down on the same side but hasn't torn the flooring yet...how did you remove the carpeted covering to expose this area? :confused:

We want to open it up and check things out BEFORE anything happens...thanks!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'll have to keep an eye on mine. In the '09 model, the carpet cover has been replaced with a wood cover on the bottom of that slide.

You say you reattached the rollers with nuts and bolts. Is the underside of that mount area accessible from below the slide when it's extended in order to tighten them?

The carpeted cover is attached with maybe 4 screws, start at the left side and there will be a screw in the carpet about 1” from the end and ½” from the cabinet space, there will be at least 3 screws, one at each end and one in the center. They are very difficult to find. If you look closely at the photos you will see where the screw holes are?

Jack

rick_debbie_gallant

I want to let everyone know about my problem with the kitchen slide out so that they can check their unit before any damage occurs.
My unit is a 08 but I haven’t used it much until this year. When I extended the slides out, the kitchen slide was dragging and tore up the flooring in the kitchen. Since it was out of warranty I figured I would check it out. What happed is that the roller supports broke loose allowing the slid to drag the floor. The supports were mounted with wood screws which had pulled out of the wood. I replaced the screws with bolts, fender washers and nylon locking nuts.
These things happen, and there is always room for improvement. We love our 3670RL.

Jack

Jim belettie

has the attachment been changed in newer models? I like to upgrade mine when ever problems such as this crop up and the factory changes the way things are that are better.

jbeletti

Jim belettie

has the attachment been changed in newer models? I like to upgrade mine when ever problems such as this crop up and the factory changes the way things are that are better.

I don't know Rick but I have sent this to Engineering, Production and QA as a heads-up on what retail is seeing.

Jim

JohnDar

I'm not in my unit, but I seem to recall that with the wooden cover, there are wood plugs over the screw heads. Makes them easy to find :D. If needed, I'll just turn my cat, Ally, loose on them. She loves to pull them out of any furniture she can find them in.

Jim

I sent photos to Heartland to inform them of the problem, not expecting them to cover anything because I have had the unit for about 2 ½ years.
The factory installed one roller on the left side and 2 in the center and none on the right end. To me it seemed better to take one from the center and install it on the end. My unit has the double door 12 QFT refrigerator.
I asked them if I could order an additional roller and some flooring to patch the floor but no one has responded as of yet?
It was difficult to install the nuts on the bottom side of the floor, I had to tape the nut and fender washer onto a box end wrench to secure the nut.
Jack

JohnDar

Jim

I sent photos to Heartland to inform them of the problem, not expecting them to cover anything because I have had the unit for about 2 ½ years.
The factory installed one roller on the left side and 2 in the center and none on the right end. To me it seemed better to take one from the center and install it on the end. My unit has the double door 12 QFT refrigerator.
I asked them if I could order an additional roller and some flooring to patch the floor but no one has responded as of yet?
It was difficult to install the nuts on the bottom side of the floor, I had to tape the nut and fender washer onto a box end wrench to secure the nut.
Jack

Thanks, I've used that trick on some other projects around the house. So far, our slides have only been cycled in/out a handful of times.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
How did you replace the roller without taking the slide out. I'm having the same problem with my living room slide on my 3670.