BR Slide Dragging..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I found that our bedroom slide is being damaged on the bottom by the roller. I asked about it a couple of times when we were at Goshen but was informed it was normal wear. I don't think it turned out to be that now.

I wanted to let others know that this might be something to look out for.

I am not at a place where I trust someone to repair the slide. I am thinking about putting a strip of aluminum on the bottom with counter sink screws until I can get to Elkhart to have it checked. I don't want to have water leaks and if they have to remove the slide we will be out for a week. RV Capital is who I trust to repair it...

Anyone else having this problem or repaired the problem??

I remember someone that actually rebuilt the entire bottom of the bedroom slide.. I am not that talented.

BC

Attachments

• DSC_4538M.jpg
    DSC_4538M.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_4539M.jpg
    DSC_4539M.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_4540M.jpg
    DSC_4540M.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_4541M.jpg
    DSC_4541M.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 76

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
TBC, is that wear only one one side of the slide? That looks like a good candidate for use of the plastic strips that some guys are putting one the bottom edges of their slides. They have wear on the other slides resulting in damage to the wood.
I believe that the person that rebuilt the bottom of the slide had wood damage due to a water leak.
And thanks for the heads up on one more thing to keep an eye on.

Peace
Dave

rick_debbie_gallant

Whilest my slide is not damaged or worn as much as what
your showing in you photo I am showing some where and indentation. It looks like shortly the bottom of my slide will lookike yours.
e

talley

Bob, didn't you have the repair strips placed on two of your slides? Are those strips suitable for the BR slide? If you use metal strips, might consider stainless steel. Aluminum might be too soft... just a thought.

Bobby A

Bob,

If I was a betting man I would say the roller bearings have gone bad in that roller. When I was in Elkhart a few months back, I had to have a new roller installed because the bearings were falling out. This was the big gray rollers on the big slide. The guys at the plant said they never seen a gray roller go bad, just the white ones.
Hope this helps

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I had the same thing happen on my off door kitchen/living room slide out.The dealer replaced the roller and put a 5 or 6 inch wide strip of metal on the bottom of the slide for the roller to roll on.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Those of you that had the rollers replaced do you know if they had to remove the slide to replace the rollers?

I would like to be able to do the work myself if possible. I don't want to have to move the trailer and have to go to a motel or whatever..

BC

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I am not sure but I don't think that the dealer removed my slide.I am sure others will weigh in on this.

beardedone

Beardedone
Another question. If you attach a runner to the underside of the slide, does that increase the resistance to bring it back in as it would have to ride up over the roller. If not, would it be wise to grind a bit of an angle on the leading edge of the runner and make it wider than the roller so that the attaching screws do not generate a new issue?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If the roller is dragging, you'd think you could hear it when operating the slide. Maybe set up your hydraulic manifold to only run the bedroom slide and stand next to it while the wife runs it.

A possible alternative to a metal strip might be UHMW plastic, similar to the item in this link.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2000902/2000902.aspx?tab=information#information

Can you tell how the rollers are mounted to the frame? Looks like getting at screws or bolts might be problematic due to the clearance unless you can jack the slide bottom up some.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hey Bob,
Prior to my bedroom slide finally being fixed (got it done at the Goshen Rally) at one time a strip of stainless steel was put on the bottom of the slide as I was having the same problem. Camperland (believe it or not) fixed it by removing the slide, replacing the rollers and then resetting the slide. It looks like maybe the slide is slightly out of adjustment or the roller is messed up. Seemed to me the factory was the one who told the dealers to put the metal strip on the bottom of the slide to fix it. Call Jim Fenner and see what he says as i know he knows about it.

talley

If Fenner recalls this, and factory still recommends as a fix, find out what gauge stainless steel is recommended. My BR slide is showing some signs that may call for a fix.

Thanks,Jerry

Bobby A

When I was at the factory a few months back, they were useing some special lube to lube the rollers. I was told that this should be done fairly regularly. Don't remember the name of it, the tech said it is very expensive and hard to find, it comes in a spray can, super lube comes to mind but not sure.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member