Mouse proofing

ralphpam

I have been under our 3670RL with a can of spray foam to water seal and mouse proof the trailer. How do you seal the large openings around the slideout gears and rams? So far I have had no mice but with winter coming I would like to keep it that way. Are there any other openings that I need to seal that I may need to take out the panel in the storage bay to get to? Thanks in advance for your help.

SilverRhino

We have used pure peppermint oil for a number of years. Place it on cotton balls that are on small paper plates. Put in compartments and cabin......mice don't like the stuff!

Be sure to use the peppermint oil.....health food stores or your local pharmacy are good places to purchase.

Travel Safe!

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Bounce dryer sheets work for us and don't have any long lasting odor to deal with the next spring. We use a couple of boxes each year.
Kristy

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Whether peppermint oil or the Bounce dryer sheets, how often do you have to replenish/replace them to remain effective over the winter?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
John, we load the Bighorn up with Bounce and forget it till spring. Except for this year when we will be towing it till spring. As a testimony for the Bounce method, when we had our popup camper I kept it in my daughters barn for two years using Bounce and never had a mouse. I am convinced that it works.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John, we load the Bighorn up with Bounce and forget it till spring. Except for this year when we will be towing it till spring. As a testimony for the Bounce method, when we had our popup camper I kept it in my daughters barn for two years using Bounce and never had a mouse. I am convinced that it works.

Peace
Dave

Thanks, Dave! Guess I'll be stuffing dryer sheets all over my rig for the winter. I tried filling holes with Great Stuff foam, but some of them are just too big (like around the garage bay in front).

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Whether peppermint oil or the Bounce dryer sheets, how often do you have to replenish/replace them to remain effective over the winter?

We put them in when we winterize and they have lasted all winter. Our winters last from Oct. through March or April. We used them in our cuddy cabin boat too. Not a mouse in site for the last 10 yrs.
Kristy

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
The peppermint oil also works for headaches, as noted, the 100% pure peppermint oil from a health food store. Just dab a small amount on each temple, have used this method on migraines for years myself. God Bless ya, Al

airedale

we spread about 20 bounce sheets about and have'nt had mouse problems......also, the place smells great in the spring.......

SmokeyBare

Ralph,

As far as sealing the large openings near the landing legs...

You could consider purchasing some 1/4 or 1/2 inch hardware cloth... which is galvanized wire type material with 1/4 inch holes. Sold in many home building centers or Hardware stores.

This material can be cut to cover the openings around the legs. Use short bolts with large washers could be one way to secure it to the sheet metal on the RV... another simple method to attach could be to use plastic Wire ties.

Good Luck with your project.

azbound

We have used pure peppermint oil for a number of years. Place it on cotton balls that are on small paper plates. Put in compartments and cabin......mice don't like the stuff!

Be sure to use the peppermint oil.....health food stores or your local pharmacy are good places to purchase.

Travel Safe!

We have used the peppermint oil and cotton balls for over 20 years. First on our houseboat, then the MH and both 5ers. once at the beginning of winter has always worked for us.

smday

On my old Raptor i took the black cardboard off the bottom and found alot of holes that you can't see from above, filled each hole with more insulation (spray or batts), covered the big holes with tar paper and brought in a guy to spray foam under the whole trailer with 2-1/2" of spray foam from front to back. No more mice plus it added an extra R-15 value to the floor for warmth. Will be considering doing the same thing with the Cyclone when we pick it up in December. Otherwise we used the Bounce sheets. Smells great come spring time.

soilmovers

We had mice coming into the basement via the docking station (climbing the water hoses) From there, they made themselves at home by slipping thru the grill under the fridge.
I put metal mesh on the back of the grill and sealed the docking station with heavy rubber tubing.
In addition to sealing the other areas as suggested by the other members, we have been mouse free.
Cindy