Broken Bolt

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The bolt holding the cross shaft to the jack gear on the driver side broke this weekend when I was unhitching. I noticed it when one of the gears was going out further than the other. Ended up being not quite level for a couple of days, but I got a replacement bolt (5/16 x 1 1/2) at Home Depot and it fit nearly perfectly. After I hooked back up to the truck it took all of 5 minutes to replace the bolt. Works better than new now.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The bolt holding the cross shaft to the jack gear on the driver side broke this weekend when I was unhitching. I noticed it when one of the gears was going out further than the other. Ended up being not quite level for a couple of days, but I got a replacement bolt (5/16 x 1 1/2) at Home Depot and it fit nearly perfectly. After I hooked back up to the truck it took all of 5 minutes to replace the bolt. Works better than new now.

Gotta be handy.....or know how to use Duct Tape :D

biggziff

Are those supposed to be shear pins? One of mine broke on my Springdale and the dealer said to use shear pins so you don't tear up a gearbox in the event of a jam.

SmokeyBare

Most don't break... Most have the nut fall off the bolt thread... and as it slowly turns... the bolt drops out of the shaft.

Thread Tite... Lock Tite... Nylon locking thread Nut... any of those will help prevent it from happening again.

Marv

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Most don't break... Most have the nut fall off the bolt thread... and as it slowly turns... the bolt drops out of the shaft.

Thread Tite... Lock Tite... Nylon locking thread Nut... any of those will help prevent it from happening again.

Marv

That happened earlier on the passenger/door side and the nylon lock nut fixed that. This latest one just flat broke right in the middle. Had a pretty good bend in it so it had been getting ready to go for some time probably. I just hadn't noticed it. Now checking the jackbolts are on my daily use checklist.