How do I change a light bulb?

SueJean

HiYa!

I'm not exactly sure how this forum works, but I'm willing to jump in "feet-first" and learn. :) Please don't beat me up for being "stupid". I have gone through the manuals many times and some things just don't appear to be all that obvious.

Can anyone tell me how to get the cover off of the recessed lights over the couch so that I can change the bulb. Thanks in advance!

SueJean

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You should be able to turn the cover and work it loose. May need to turn and pull down at the same time.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
SueJean, sometimes they can be a bugger to get off. Just turn the glass counter clockwise about an inch and like Gus said pull down a bit.

Peace
Dave

jimtoo

Just don't ask an Aggie to do it...might take 2 or 3 of them.... (OK... it's a Texas thing...:))

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just don't ask an Aggie to do it...might take 2 or 3 of them.... (OK... it's a Texas thing...:))

Is that one of those operations where one holds the lamp and the rest of the campus turns the trailer??:D

cliffbuilt

Is that one of those operations where one holds the lamp and the rest of the campus turns the trailer??:D

Ok , I'll help turn on the west coast end of the trailer.:rolleyes: but that only makes five of us now, come on the rest of you Heartlanders!;)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hi SueJean
Told you this was a great forum. Get a couple serious answers and then a whole bunch of nuts having fun. Welcome to the forum.... Told you I was out here a lot..

One other thing.. When you put the glass lens back on be sure it is screwed back on correctly.. We changed out one in our coach. We store the trash can between our chairs, which is below the light we changed out. It looks like the lens fell off and we threw it away. Couldn't find it for a long time then realized that the trash can was below it. Going to have to find one to replace it..

Have fun.. Glad you made to the forum.

BC

geeksrus

HiYa!

I'm not exactly sure how this forum works, but I'm willing to jump in "feet-first" and learn. :) Please don't beat me up for being "stupid". I have gone through the manuals many times and some things just don't appear to be all that obvious.

Can anyone tell me how to get the cover off of the recessed lights over the couch so that I can change the bulb. Thanks in advance!

SueJean

Not only getting the cover off is a challenge but you then have to insert the replacement halogen bulb's 2 little pins into two teeny holes without touching the bulb with your bare hands... :eek: no fun for those of us that have fat fingers.

Does anyone know where you can get replacement lights that are easier to maintain?

Eh!

wdk450

Halogen Bulb Replacement

Not only getting the cover off is a challenge but you then have to insert the replacement halogen bulb's 2 little pins into two teeny holes without touching the bulb with your bare hands... :eek: no fun for those of us that have fat fingers.

Does anyone know where you can get replacement lights that are easier to maintain?

Eh!

From experience in the Hospital, replace halogen bulbs wearing thin rubber gloves (hospital-type) to keep your body oils off of the glass, or they might shatter when turned on. If you do inadvertantly touch the glass, use rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip to clean the glass last thing.

SueJean

Well..........

You're right BC! This is a fun crowd! :eek: This wasn't meant to be a "trick question" or anything, but as I read all the responses, I just had to laugh. :p

So far, I've twisted, tugged, pulled, pried and poked and prodded the stupid light cover and it just won't give. It might be easier just to pull the whole stupid light out of the ceiling and put a patch over the hole! :eek:

Just kidding! I'll keep picking at it. I'm sure some human somewhere put that thing up there so there must be some way to get it down. :confused:

I do have the little rubber glovie thingies so I've got that part covered when the time comes. My problem comes in short, fat fingers that barely reach across the light cover. Can't wait to see what's inside! :D

Hadn't given a thought yet to just what kind of light bulb I'm going to need and where I'm going to find that. Hmmmm.......

I think this would be a good place to insert some kind of Texan joke, but not being a "real Aggie", anything I'd have to say might come across in the wrong way. If I was a "real Texan", I'd just say forget the light bulb and go out and buy a new rig, eh? :cool:

Blessings,

SueJean

TXBobcat

Fulltime
All you have to do is grab it hard and turn counter clock wise. It is tight but it will come off. I am talking about the fixture lens.. Right?

BC

nscaler2

try this

In order to get ours off, I used one of those thin rubbery things that are sold for getting a grip on the top of stubborn jar lids. I just covered the glass cover and twisted a 1/4 turn counterclockwise. The rubbery grip thing did the trick. Hope this helps. :angel:

SueJean

Confession time

:eek: O.K. I confess. The thin, rubbery thing was a good idea. I know I have one of those things somewhere in this rig, but it's obviously very well put away. However, in honor of "MacGyver", I did try using a thick piece of shelf liner which I have in abundance between dishes/pans/lids/etc. It seemed to me to be a very good idea.

However, I still couldn't manage to move the thing more than a quarter of an inch and this obviously wasn't enough to get it loose. DannyLee's guitar-pickin' fingers weren't any better than mine at getting it loose either so I just figured two lights are enough for me anyway. :p

Here's the confession part - :rolleyes: since we were headed to the RV dealer for some repairs, I just tagged this little light cover thingie onto my list of "needs" and watched in abject embarrassment as the expensive techie guy just popped the cover off without any apparent effort whatsoever. Hmmm
He then popped in a new light bulb (sans gloves, explaining that as long as you had no grease/oil/hand lotion on your hands, they weren't necessary) and Voila! We have three lights again.

I know! I know! You're all thinking WIMP!! :p I keep telling DannyLee that we need to be far more self-sufficient at keeping our Nest up, but sometimes it's just too easy to take the easy way out. :cool:

Thanks for all the tips! Now you know how many Texans it takes to change a light bulb! Just one - a very expensive one! :eek:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Suejean, Im a little late on this. My vote would have been for a BIG HAMMER and a chisle. The other Bob:D:D

SueJean

Big hammer!

You and DannyLee would get along great! :D He'd be right with you on that one. That's why I handle the more delicate kinds of repairs! ;)