Wiper Seal

Anyone had any luck getting heartland to cover any design flaw damage? I tried to call and speak with a customer service rep and all he would tell me was "You aren't the original owner, and even if you were it's 7 months out of warranty. I can't help you." It seems to me there have been many other people with this same problem. I'm having to spend over a thousand dollars to repair damage to a 2009 model camper. Anyone have any ideas? It is a shame that companies won't own up to their mistakes and make them right. Maybe this will save at least one potential buyer a few thousand extra dollars.

jimtoo

Hi jarettdaivs,

First, welcome to the Heartland Owners forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share and help.

Please tell us more about your problem, what kind of unit do you have? What "wiper seal" are you asking about? How did "you" determine it is a "design flaw", and what is your damage? Pictures are worth a thousand words. Who did you talk to a customer service? Are you the original owner, if not, how old is your trailer or do you know? Your problem is fixable I'm sure, but we need to know more information about your problem and damage.

Please help us to help you.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jarett, Welcome to the Heartland Forum. While I can understand your disappointment it's hard to respond to your comment/question without more details. Like Jim suggested, explain the problem and post a few pictures and we may then understand what you are referring to.
I've been a forum member for several years and have not seen many wiper seal issues. Yes, there has been a few but when you consider the number of problems with slide out seals compared to the number of trailers sold, it's minimal. That said, I can't imagine a "design flaw".
I don't know of any manufacturers that extend a warranty to second owners let alone a warranty beyond the original 12 month warranty to the original owner. Unless of course there is an aftermarket warranty purchased. I suggest you try working out something with your selling dealer. If it's a problem that was with the unit when purchased, he may help you out.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Guessing, but if he's referring to the tendency of the seals to curl and not extend out completely, that's been addressed by others using PSA trim pieces. It happens on mine, but when I extend the slides, I go around and check the external ones and pull them into position with the awning rod. The slide toppers protect the top, but I check them, too.

cliffbuilt

design flaw damage?

Subscribed. :)

Waiting for more details from O.P. :confused:

JohnDar could you elaborate on PSA trim pieces? TIA.

All the best, Cliff

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Subscribed. :)

Waiting for more details from O.P. :confused:

JohnDar could you elaborate on PSA trim pieces? TIA.

All the best, Cliff

Cliff, what some folks have done is attach strips of self-adhesive (PSA) flexible automotive trim to the tops and/or sides of their slides to help flex the rubber seals in the proper direction as the slide moves. Seems it provides enough additional friction to pull them in the right direction. They purchased the materials at auto supply stores.

My seals need coaxing when I put the slides out, too. I use the long awning rod to go around and "lift" them into proper position. Since I keep mine on a seasonal site the entire summer and leave the slides out, it's a one time thing. The slide toppers help protect the top of the slide and prevent pooling up there. Treating the seals to a silicone spray lube helps keep them happy, too.