Storing LCD TV's over the winter

This is my first RV with LCD TV's. What do I do with them in the winter? Should I take the TV's out of the RV and store them in the house? We live in Maryland and our winters can be below freezing at times, but usually not more than a few days or a week at a time. Our RV is stored in a garage over the winter, I'm not sure if this helps any or not.

Clark

John, this is new territory for most of us as LCD TV's in our RVs haven't been around too many years. This is my second year with an LCD. Unfortunately the first year found the BH in the RV dealers and the Television was stolen in January, so that one doesn't count. I found a number of opinions on the web. Here is one:
http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/2009/01/rv_flat_screen_lcd_tv.phpt

In short, the article says "Maybe" damage could occur.
Personally, I'll be removing mine after our last trip next week.
Clark

John T Bettencourt

I live in Massachusetts and my LM has two of those tv. I left them in all last winter and there was know problem with them in the spring

bighorn3370

I live in Michigan and leave my TV in my BH. I haven't had any problems. The DVD player did not work this past spring, but I do not think it was from being in BH during the winter.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We live in Illinios close to St Louis and for the last 3 years we have left our LCD TVS in the trailer. No problem yet.Kathy:)

beardedone

Beardedone
We live in Alberta and winter camp with our trailer. TV stays in it and we get out to it just let it warm up for a while and turn it on. No issues at all. I bet when these LCD tvs get shipped in the winter it isn't in a heated truck.

biggziff

Newer LCD technology is designed to withstand freezing without incident. All bets are off if dealing with the Chinese no-name LCD tvs though. If I had one of the cheapos I'd bring it in for the winter or better yet...sell it on Craigslist and replace it with a decent, name brand LCD.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
With the amount of RV breakins in storage facilities to steal TV's if I were storing mine over the winter I would take it and bring it home so it would not get stolen. (I am paronoid when it comes to that) Don't thing you will have a problem with the weather as long as you let the inside of the coach warm up some prior to use.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We have Samsung equipment in our Bighorn. We contacted Samsung directly and they suggested that the unit be protected from extended freezing. Told them we live in New Jersey and they suggested that we should not subject it to the cold climate in our area.

Well, we left our tv in our RV all winter and with our weather warming up here in Maryland, I turn it on and it worked fine. We had one of the worst winters here in Maryland in 40-50 years, snow, snow, snow. However, our rv is stored in a garage, maybe that helped some.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Before we took possession of our rig in March of 2009, it sat on the dealers lot in mid-Michigan over the winter. No problem with the TV. Just need to wait until it gets warmed up before turning on the power.