NT 26 RKS Towing Question

POCOHORSE

Troy & Tracy Chaddon
Hello All,

I am new here and really like this forum. Hubby and I will be purchasing a 2010 North Trail 26 RKS soon. We will be towing it with a 2005 Ford F-350 4 x 4 (I know it's overkill but I use the truck to pull my gooseneck horse trailer). My question is for those that own this trailer, have you needed to use an anti-sway stabilizer and/or a weight distributing hitch? Do you think I will need either or both of these with my particular truck? We currently own a Coleman by Fleetwood Bayside popup that requires an anti-sway-we did find out that we needed it the on the way home from taking delivery-not fun.
We are buying the trailer from a dealer about two hours away and we don't want' to find out the hard way that we should have installed the anti-sway and/or weight distributing hitch before leaving the dealer
Thanks for all the great advise!

jimtoo

Hi POCOHORSE,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share and help when needed.

As far as needing the hitch for weight transfer, I would say no, it's not needed. But for sway and piece of mind, Yes, I would use the weight and anti-sway hitch.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Nell

Welcome Pocohorse,

Congrats on your upcomming purchase - a great choice. We sold our Coleman Bayside to buy our 31QBS. I know exactly what you are talking about regarding sway or fish tailing with the Bayside - great popup but not well balanced - had to keep that front storage trunk full!

With your 26RKS absolutely go with the WD hitch IMHO however there is also a great forum devoted to North Trail Owners (see link below) where there are several owners of your particular unit who will have great information for you and be a great support network. Check it out below....

http://www.northtrailtalk.com/