LP/Gasoline Generators

sprehoda

I have researched Propane/Gas generators (Honda) that seem to be much less costly than the propane Onan option offered by Heartland. You can switch fuel with a simple adjustment. It almost seems to be too good to be true.

This would eliminate the problem of using too much propane because gasoline is much more available.

Is anyone using a generator like this? How do you like it?

How do you connect the gas, just fill the tank on the generator?

jnbhobe

Sprehoda; Don't forget the factory installed gen-set has the transfer switch and remote start installed not to mention the exhaust system. That all adds to the price.That said I use a 3000 watt Honda mounted to the rear frame works great for us and only about $1600. JON:cool::cool::cool:

jnbhobe

Yep too good!! doesn't say how many DB;s I bet its loud. Would have to mount out side wouldn't work inside.FUMES

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
212 pounds and it doesn't give a decibel rating so I'm guessing its noisy. Who's going to lift it?

Peace
Dave

lwmcguir

I have a couple of generators that work well but don't like having to run them wide open. Looking at going to an Inverter generator to allow the engine to adjust to the load. Quieter and should be a bit safer for the electronics in the Camper. Kipor has one that is close in price to this one. Some folks like them and others don't. Curious if any of you have the larger inverters? I know a bunch of you have the smaller ones.

jnbhobe

My honda 3000 is an inverter type, works great will run all night on less than a tank of fuel. The best part is you can't hear it.57db JON:cool::cool::cool:

lwmcguir

I really think the Inverter Gen Set is the way to go to reduce fuel consumption and noise. Looking a a Diesel unit but it is a bit heavier than I wanted to put in the Generator compartment. Like to keep it under 200 pounds and definitely an inverter. Honda engines cant be beat.

Buy the honda 3000 inverter series,you will love it.We have used ours for the last 4 years with no toubles.You will not regret it.

jnbhobe

But it won't work in the gen compartment. has to be outside or rip it apart to make a exhaust system

porthole

Retired
It is actually a triple fuel 6KW generator but when would you ever use natural gas?

The link is at: http://www.generatorsales.com/order/HPS6000.asp?page=HPS6000

$1725 with free shipping. Electric start included. Too good to be true??

That is not a Honda generator, only powered by a Honda.

The regular Honda engines are not as quiet as what you will find on their gensets. The engine on the above listed genset is similar to the ones used on pumps, power washers etc. They are as noisy as most small engines, but they are Hondas.

The multi fuel option on the Honda gensets runs around 300 from what I have found in the past. Too much for me to worry about.

I have a Honda 3000 inverter series and still ordered a genset with the new trailer.

The option cost about double of what the Honda cost me.
But, the factory genset is always there, never in the shed.
I don't have to pick it up and put it in the truck bed, which BTW with the 5th hitch leaves no room for the genset.
I now have a 28 gallon gas tank for the genset.

The Onan is quiet enough too.