Need repairs on BH - South TX - looking for recommendations

SueJean

Greetings!

We have a 2008 Big Horn that needs some repair work done. We had a tire come apart on us in IL and it did considerable damage (of course ;)).

Fortunately, we were a couple of miles from a tire shop that was able to get us back on the road quickly. They tried to help with the brake wiring, but the "wiring repair" that they had done wasn't actually a fix as the wires were not only ripped off at one end, they were disconnected at the source. We found out later on down the road that we had no brakes on the trailer at all. :eek:

We had the wiring for the brakes repaired at Camper's Corner RV Supercenter in Madison, TN. They did an excellent job of getting us back on the road. We had called ahead and let them know we were on the road with a schedule at that time and they took care of us right away. I can recommend their service department.

Unfortunately, our efforts to get the "cosmetic"/structural damage haven't been successful. The dealer we bought our rig from seems far less than interested in taking on the job. We're planning to head further south towards San Antonio.

I'm hoping that someone out here has some experience or a recommendation with a dealer/repair shop that we can contact to set up this work. We're full-timers so we need a place where we can get it done quickly or stay while the work is being done. Thanks in advance for your suggestions/recommendations.

Blessings,

SueJean

osims

bsims
There are some Heartland dealers toward San Antonio. Maybe when Jimtoo logs on he can tell you the one he uses , i think it is Explorer USA but not for sure.
Bill

jbeletti

SueJean,

Also consider contacting Heartland Customer Service for their ideas. The number is 877-262-8032.

We also have a Service Center Locator on the factory site here.

Jim

jimtoo

Hi SueJean,

Bill is correct, my dealer is ExploreUSA, Seguin, TX.. very easy to get to, on North side of IH 10 just take exit 604 west bound and go about 1/2 mile on access road. There is also a small, clean, inexpensive RV park just past the dealer by 1/4 mile. The folks there are really good and they will treat you right.

I called, but the shop is closed at 5pm. So I don't know what their work load is, but I feel sure they will try to help you. Call Ron Baker, toll free 866-813-2770 in the morning.

Let me know how things go.

Jim M

sealman

I am in the process of having my repair work done by an independent mobile repairman who has 30 years experience as a repair tech and service mgr.. We use the 5er a few days every week, so I did not want it in the shop waiting for J-wrap etc. so he ordered whats needed and we still have use of our trailer. His rates are very competitive and he cares so I know that I am not ever getting the runaround. I can also see the coach being repaired. We are just north of Houston in a beautiful RV Resort on Lake Conroe.
Good Luck,
John

SueJean

Thanks for the quick replies guys! We're going to head down towards Seguin in the next few days and give ExploreUSA a chance to impress us with their great service. I appreciate all of your help and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

boydk2001

I can't comment on the ExploreUSA in Sequin but the folks at ExploreUSA in Bourne are excellent. I had the jack leg of my 2900MK break on me in Riudoso NM and I took it into them last week. I just got off the phone with them to check to see where they were on fixing it and they said they were waiting on me...... to come pick it up. all fixed and at the best price of all $0.00 covered under the warranty:)

If the folks in Seguin cant get to you, I would give Christy a call.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There is also an Explore RV in Georgetown just north of Austin. They all have the same owners but their service departments service vary greatly. I have not had a good experience with the Georgetown one but understand they have had several service manager changes since then. I have heard good things about Explore RV in Seguin. The owner is a caring person and if you have problems you can email him on their website. He does respond. Good luck.

BoydK2001, make sure you watch what they fixed in Boerne. My 2009 Cyclone has been there 7 times in the last 14 months - not really because of new issues, but because ExploreUSA in Boerne has to keep repeating repairs they have already done. Your post about Christy is appropriate - if you had not called to check on your unit, it would have sat there for a month with no communication initiated on their part. Her customer service skills are awful, and despite over a year of complaining, no one seems to want to make any improvements. The shop manager Craig isn't any better. I've told three people in the last six days not to purchase RV's from this place. The sales staff is great, but it is inevitable that you will need service work - and they just don't cut it. It is not just me either. The last two families that I referred there have had identical problems with what I refer to as a shoddy repair shop - not a "service department." Heartland has been great in covering the costs, despite ExploreUSA Boerne's poor performance. I've made enough of a stink that Brian Booker (who owns ExploreUSA) is now involved. Hopefully there are some positive changes coming.

SueJean

ExploreUSA, Seguin, TX.

Per JimToo's recommendation, we headed south today to Seguin for an appointment with ExploreUSA which is located off Hwy 10 at exit 604.

We have damage to the right side of our Big Horn from a tire separation and we had some minor problems with the oven, the outside power receptacles, the right front landing foot and one stubborn light cover in the living room.

Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly by the staff and treated in a very nice way. Careful notes were taken of our needs/concerns and a plan of action was set in motion. All of our minor issues were quickly addressed with the oven, outside power receptacles and the stubborn light fixture falling under the heading of "stupid user errors". :eek:

The landing foot and tire damage both will need to have replacement parts ordered and we were assured that this would be set in motion within the next couple of days.

So far, our experience with ExploreUSA here in Seguin has been very positive and we're very happy that we followed JimToo's recommendation. The staff here appears to be very familiar with the inner workings of the Big Horn and all of our questions were quickly answered and then practically demonstrated for us.

When all of the repairs are completed, I will update this little report for any that might be looking for the right kind of RV service. These guys get a big "thumb's up" so far! :D

SueJean

The repairs to our "Nest" have finally been completed here at ExploreUSA in Seguin, TX with a big "Thank You" to JimToo for his recommendation. The holidays seemed to add to the wait time for shipping and scheduling the repairs, but it's all in the timing.

We really appreciate the friendliness and proficiency of the staff at ExploreUSA in Seguin and would add our recommendation to JimToo's for anyone looking for a reputable and caring dealer. They went the distance for us in accommodating our needs as full-timers and made the effort to keep us informed throughout the process.

We're very happy to see our Big Horn restored to its former beauty!

P.S. We also enjoyed the town of Seguin and made many happy memories there!