wood under slides

soilmovers

'08 3055

The (black covered) plywood under two of the slides appears to be delaminating along the edges. It looks as though water/moisture is wicking along the edges- about 2" in and the length of the slide. It is soft and beginning to swell along the edge where it is hanging down past the metal trim (no more than 1/8").
Can I seal this to prevent rotting? What would cause this?

We are in deep east Texas and had 18"+ of rain in October. Not good for lake building,either.

thanks for any advice,
Cindy

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Here is one thread to read. There are a few others that you can read by doing a search for slides.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=12020&highlight=slides

soilmovers

Here is one thread to read. There are a few others that you can read by doing a search for slides.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=12020&highlight=slides
Actually, I did a search before I posted. This link is not the problem I am having. It looks like water is running down the sides of the slide and then under. A drip edge would prevent this but for some reason the trim is allowing water to go under and along the edges.

thanks again.
cindy

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
There are a few threads that talk about the delamination. Mine also has begun to delaminate but the fix according to the factory is still the same kit they talk about in this thread. Try this one.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=12248&highlight=delamination

The factory has actually come up with a new molding to seal and protect the edges of the plywood according to Jim B.

janitor1

So what about the many owners who have theses units that are having problems including me since I look at mine also , since you are changing the design isn’t heartland saying there is a problem with this? if so are they giving a free kit to fix the campers they have already sold?

Like a recall?

soilmovers

There are a few threads that talk about the delamination. Mine also has begun to delaminate but the fix according to the factory is still the same kit they talk about in this thread. Try this one.

The factory has actually come up with a new molding to seal and protect the edges of the plywood according to Jim B.

Ok, I see that now. Thank you again for the link.

Cindy

soilmovers

Heartland is sending me a couple kits. I'm hoping this will prevent any more damage.

thanks to all for the help!

Cindy

I have a 09, 3600RE BH and I have the same problem on my front pull-out. I have the same scrapes that bighorn3370 has shown in his images from a previous link.

We had rain recently and the DW found wet carpet in the corner underneath the couch. The carpet was soaked from the corner of the front pull-out to the front of the couch. I inspected the outside (in the rain) and noticed the scrapes that are very similar to what bighorn3370 has. I also noticed the water running down the sides and underneath the pull-out and the plywood was soaked and also starting to swell.

Can this cause the rain water to “wick” back up to the carpet and soak the carpet? This would be like water running up hill.:eek:

No indications of a roof leak and the top of the pull-out was dry under the pull-out cover.

We are semi-full timers and the pull-outs stay out most of the time. The pull-outs have been extended and retracted only a few times. I can get the kit for the scrapes, what about the water in leakage? Thanks

lwmcguir

The water will wick and run uphill if it has a suitable material that will hold water to follow. Sure could be part or all of what you are seeing. The new moldings or as someone noted last night put a L shape piece of aluminum on the bottom of the slide to cover the plywood. The plywood should be completely dry or you are going to have bigger problems soon. Good luck.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, this is what I did. I got two 96" pieces of extruded aluminum, cut them to length, used putty tape and caulk. Oh and screws to hold it all together. The attaced pics should tell the story.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• Aluminum plate.JPG
    Aluminum plate.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 496
  • Plate off.JPG
    Plate off.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 485
  • Jacked slide.jpg
    Jacked slide.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 467
  • Bevel.jpg
    Bevel.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 482
  • Putty tape.JPG
    Putty tape.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 456
  • Part installed.jpg
    Part installed.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 497
  • Caulked and finished.jpg
    Caulked and finished.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 452

nscaler2

Metal strip?

Ok, this is what I did. I got two 96" pieces of extruded aluminum, cut them to length, used putty tape and caulk. Oh and screws to hold it all together. The attaced pics should tell the story.

Peace
Dave
Wow Dave. What a great fix. That might just fix the problem I am having with the same kind of leak in my entertainment center slide out. Thanks for the pictures and explanation. Just one question. Where did you get the metal "L" shaped strip that you used? Thanks in advance.

aatauses

Hi Dave,
thanks for the great photos. I have a question about the jack and how complicated that was. I have a "kit' to go on the bottom of the slide and HL said I needed to jack up the slide to put it under the rolls---just how complicated is that to do. Did you leave the slide completely out? Did you remove the rubber piece on the bottom of the slide? Did you have any issues with operation after you used the jack? how did you ensure the slide did not get out of alignment? etc, etc
thanks
al
ps, I also have on order some angle to put on the edges in addition to the "kit' for the bottom

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
aatauses, when I did that I jacked the slide up enough to get the strip in. How much? I don't really know. About a half inch I'm guessing. Maybe a little more. Whatever it took. Notice that I had a 2x6 between the jack and slide bottom. I did have the slide all the way out. I lowered the jack before I installed the screws on the end that is inboard so I could have a good fit. If you are asking if I removed the rubber piece on the bottom of the slide, all I did was remove the foam triangular block in the corner underneath. Two screws. The slide goes up and down when you open and close it. I don't think that jacking it up an inch or so will have any adverse effect. I have had no problems afterward. Just remember measure once and cut twice...........or is it measure twice and cut once. It's not that difficult. One more thing that I did is put a daub of caulk behind the outside wiper to prevent any water from running along the new strip and getting inside. I have also done that on my bedroom slide. I have attached a pic of that.
Good Luck

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• caluk dam.jpg
    caluk dam.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 162

2010augusta

Dave, Thanks for the post and pictures of the repair. I have been thinking that something like that will be necessary to prevent water wicking into the slide-out floor in the rainy Washington winter. I guess I will start the hunt for the right angle trim.