Questions about Front Landing gear

Yianni

I've only hooked and unhooked 3 times since buying my Cyclone.
I noticed on the non motor side of the landing gear I can not get the pull pin that drops the leg to seat 100%. In other words, on the other side, I can see the tip of the pin in the hole on the inside of the leg extension. I tried several different holes and jiggling it around but it will not seat like the other side. Is this a problem?
Also, with all the posts about blowing fuses etc. I'm a little nervous lowering the legs. How do I know how high I can go with before they reach the end of their travel and potentially blow a fuse? I have the retract marked but don't know about the extend.
Thanks for any help!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yanni, as for your pins not going all the way through, you might have to loosen the two nuts that hold the pin on the leg and adjust the side that will not go in, up or down till you get the proper alignment. You should not have to extend your landing gear a whole lot if you drop the legs and pin in place at their full extension. I don't know what the full extension of the landing gear is.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

Bent Pin???

The metal pin might be bent. You can either have your dealer check this under warranty, or hitch up your rig, raise the landing gear off the ground, and remove the pin assembly by loosening the 2 nuts that hold the pin sleeve on the landing gear, and hammering the pin until it is straight.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
A thought about extending your landing gear.

I have watched and talked to some who drop the extensions first then run the landing gear out with the motor. One thing to think about. If you extend the legs and insert the pin then extend the landing gear and you need to drop the nose of the trailer to level it you may have to hook up again and extend the landing gear to level the trailer.

I always drop the landing gear about 4 inches before I drop the legs. This way I can drop the nose of the trailer to level it front to back...

That is what I do...
BC

Yianni

A thought about extending your landing gear.

I have watched and talked to some who drop the extensions first then run the landing gear out with the motor. One thing to think about. If you extend the legs and insert the pin then extend the landing gear and you need to drop the nose of the trailer to level it you may have to hook up again and extend the landing gear to level the trailer.

I always drop the landing gear about 4 inches before I drop the legs. This way I can drop the nose of the trailer to level it front to back...

That is what I do...
BC

I do this also. The tech who did my pdi suggested this for a different reason. He said if you drop the inside legs from the get go it tends to make the trailer wobblier. He said to split the difference . Extend half way and then drop the legs.
My problem is where I park the trailer at home requires me to raise the front up quite a ways to be level. I don't know how high I can go without causing trouble. The Atwood jack on my old travel trailer would hit the top and stop without any fuse blowing.

I have had to back into several spots were the back of the trailer was significantly higher than the front. In such cases I must fully extend the inner posts before lowering the gear. In fact, once it was so extreme that I had to use Jack stands and blocks to set and reraise the Cyclone.
As far as blowing fuses... I've done it so many times I just bought a box of 20 amp fuses and keep them in the generater compartment!

jimtoo

HI Gaijinrider,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

The thread you have posted to is pretty old, but maybe someone will answer or post back. I checked and Lippert recommends a 30 amp fuse for the front landing gear I believe. You can see Lipperts file here for the wiring harness for the front jacks. Maybe if you used a 30 amp fuse it would not blow so easy.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Cycloner3950

Crazy for Camping!
Better yet, buy the dual motor conversion for around $379 and save yourself the future headaches. At least Heartland listened and put hydraulic lift on the 2011's.

boxcar1511

easy fix for you pin not going all the way through, remove the holding bolts take pin assembly off and check pin, I would be willing to bet it's got a slight bend in it, caused by not seating it all the way in a past adventure.. been there done that... fix takes two minutes & two beers...