What do these screws attach to?

aatauses

I have a 2010--BH 3670 and have MAJOR rust issues. I have contacted HL who suggested I contact Lippert who suggested I cantact my dealer, etc, etc. The screws that come though the frame are really rusted to a point they will probably break off and I would like to know what they are holding. These are the screws that come through the frame from the underside, have about 4-5 on each side. I am concerned what they are holding so I am prepared to replace them and how to do it.
thanks----currently in FL for the wintaaaa
al

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Maybe you could be a little more specific. My BH has screws and bolts all over the bottom. Are they front, back, middle. Do the bolts go up into the underbelly. Can you see what they hold in place?? Are they the screws that hold the underbelly in place?? Can you post some pix??

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Do they look like they have a drill bit type tip on the screw? Chances are they are holding something mounted by metal straps or hardware from the inside of the frame. A few pictures would help but chances are very good that they are nothing to be concerned about.

aatauses

These are screws that go through the main frame and were put in from the 'back' of the frame (I can see the screw, but not the head). They are mostly towards the front. I have attached a picture. Appreciate your help in knowing what they hold so I can be prepared to replace as I will have to remove the underbelly to get at them.
thanks
al

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    653.7 KB · Views: 131

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I Looks like the screws that are used to hold the underbelly in place.I took my underbelly down this past spring and I had screws similar to this that were screwed through the underbelly cardboard and into the frame. I assume the frame manufacturer installs this underbelly from the top before anything is attached to the frame.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
These are screws that go through the main frame and were put in from the 'back' of the frame (I can see the screw, but not the head). They are mostly towards the front. I have attached a picture. Appreciate your help in knowing what they hold so I can be prepared to replace as I will have to remove the underbelly to get at them.
thanks
al

From the looks of your photo i'd say you have nothing to worry about, just normal amount of rust. If the look of rust bothers you try a shot of WD-40 or spray rubberized undercoating on it.

Northern Virginia
We use those same self drilling screws at work all the time. Those screws will last a long, long time exposed to the elements. The screws are galvanized and extremely hard (that's how they cut through other metal). Most of the rust you see are the bare metal filings (the metal equivalent of saw dust in wood) from cutting through the other metal. Some of the galvanized coating will get rubbed off due to the friction of coming through the other metal but because they are so hard, the surface rust won't hurt anything.

You can sleep well tonight;)

John

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
thanks
al
It's hard to tell what they hold but I don't think you need to be concerned about them. If they are unsightly to you I would say to cut off the part extending below the belly material but do not remove them. They more than likely are holding bracing or brackets above the underbelly material.