Wet basement WHY?

DMAX154

I have 2010 Sundance 3200RE and I am staying in my unit while working out of town. I have noticed that the basement of the camper is wet and I have no idea where it is coming from. I took the acess panel covering the pump and the back of the UDC and run the shower. I wasn't able to see anything leaking. The roof of the basement (if you will) isn't wet at all. The wetness only extends to about half of the basement stopping at the middle point going towards the door side. Has anyone had these problems if so what was it? I am planning on staying here for at leastt a couple more months so a tirp to the dealer isn't really an option.

jbeletti

dmax,

There is a myriad of water connections in the utility area and any one of them could have a slow leak and may only require being snugged up by hand. It is also possible that there is a problem with the check valve inline with the black tank flusher.

I suggest you dry things up, then run the black tank flusher for a minute or two. DO NOT forget to turn it off. You will hear water flowing in the lines when you are running water into the flusher connection. Check for leaks.

If that is not it, disconnect city water, turn the water pump on and open a water faucet slightly in order for the pump to turn on. Then check for leaks again.

Best of luck.

Jim

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
On my 2008 Sundance there is a extra hose for winterizing by chance the value is open just a little it could come back into the basement. Just a thought !!

DMAX154

Thanks for your quick response. I have turned the city water off and I am planning on going home for the weekend, hopefully by the time I met back on Monday nite it will have dried up so I can try these suggestions. I know I had to turn the check valve around so the black tank flush would work, I don't know if this was part of the problem or not.

DMAX154

Forgot to mention that when I took the cover off from in behind the UDC, everything behind it was dry as a bone. All the saw dust from the building of the unit the flooring, everything. It has me very stupified. Is there any way it could be coming for the under side of the unit.

Rickhansen

DMAX,
I had a leak at the water hose connection that ran down the exterior face of the UDC and worked its way through the other connections and ended up in the floor of the basement. Aside from replacing the washer and tightening the hose connection, I sealed all of the valve and connection mounting penetrations in the UDC. That solved my water in the basement floor.

jnbhobe

DMAX; I had that same thing as Rick. I drilled a hole in the UDC and put in a drain. JON;):cool:;)

brunsje

I have the same model...my basement got wet when the check valve on the city water failed! It emptied the fresh water tank, with a lot going into the basement. But I take it you are connected to city water...so that would not be a factor. It sounds more like it could be the trap right in front of the opening on the offdoor side.
It is really hard to say since the roof to the basement is not wet. Is the city water connection tight? The water from there would fill up the UDC and slowly run to the basement. I would be looking at the drains (shower and bathroom sink) and the outside shower that may be trickling. Since the ceiling isn't wet and the pump area is dry that would be my places to look!

But definitely get it dried out so mold doesn't get started! The fan is a great suggestion! I used a wet vac on mine!

Please let us know what you find!

Rickhansen

Jon,
Great minds think alike, I added drain holes in bottom of the UDC too. Mine never filled to the point that it would have backed up into the basement with the hose entry plate out, but thought this was worthwhile feature to have too. Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

John T Bettencourt

I was getting wet in my basement of my LM Augusta and could not fne the source. It had me baffled. Then I found that it was outside rain water coming in under the compartment door. Under the gasket at the bottom. The factory did not do a good job sealing the joint and it could only be seen by removing the door gasket.

DMAX154

Yeah I have seen some of the pics someone posted about drilling the hole in the bottom of the UDC, I have been meaning to do that so that water doesn't pool up there just haven't gotten around to it. As for the shower drain, as I had said I went inside and turned the shower on and let it run for over 5 min and no leaks at all around the drain. I will make sure I bring my cordless drill back with me when I go home this weekend.

DMAX154

I was getting wet in my basement of my LM Augusta and could not fne the source. It had me baffled. Then I found that it was outside rain water coming in under the compartment door. Under the gasket at the bottom. The factory did not do a good job sealing the joint and it could only be seen by removing the door gasket.

What did you do to solve this problem?

John T Bettencourt

What I did was pull the old gasket out,and I could see the gap where the two pieces meet(inside medal and outside medal) I sealed it with kitchen and bath calking. I purchased a new length of gasket and replaced the one I removed. No more water in compartment.

Duramax1

I am not familiar with your model, but on my 2900MK I was getting wetness inside the compartment door which is next to the UDC. In my case it was a loose connection on the outdoor shower connections and the water found its way inside and ran along to the storage compartment.

John T Bettencourt

I got a good idea where mine was by putting towels all along the bottom at the inside of the compartment door. Then I could see where it got the wettest. Then I could start looking.

DMAX154

I am not familiar with your model, but on my 2900MK I was getting wetness inside the compartment door which is next to the UDC. In my case it was a loose connection on the outdoor shower connections and the water found its way inside and ran along to the storage compartment.

How do you access the conections to the outside shower? I have never really look can you just take it off or do you have to remove panels inside the basement?

Rmcgrath53

My leak was at the outside shower you look at it through the bathroom cabinet. A flash lite is required and remove all things in cabinet.
Ron