Awning fasteners loose

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Need some help. The rear upper awning bracket screws are loose and wont tighten. Just what is behind the fiberglass that the screws go in to. Wood...aluminum..?? Best way to fix this besides longer screws with wing nuts on the inside wall. BOB:D:D

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bob, there should be aluminum backer plates where the brackets attach. The downside is they are very thin, soft aluminum and it doesn't take much effort to "strip" them. I had the same problem the first time I used the awning, screws appeared to be loose and 1/2 turn of a nut driver stripped them. I ended up using an aluminum anchor that is about 1-1/4 inches long with large tapered threads. Made the holes in the mounting area large enough and along with some gorilla glue they have been in place for 3 years now. Here is a link.
http://www.fastenersuperstore.com/s...m=cpc&utm_term=anchors&utm_campaign=campaign1

I cut the tip off first and screwed the mounting bolt into the anchor prior to installing and gluing it into the wall. Just to get the threads started so I would have an easier time getting the mounting bolt in after the glue set up.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Thanks Ray. I have never even tried to tighten them. Noticed the last time out they where loose. The Front ones are tight. Bob:D