Antenna and Cable wiring

svd

We installed a second TV in the bedroom of our 3400. Before we did, the main TV in the living area worked fine with the antenna (with the booster on of course). Now, when we connect the bedroom TV to the coax connector, the main TV looses most of the signal. I even disconnected the A/B switch and ran direct to the living room TV.

We also had cable available at the park we were at, so I connected that in the docking station. The bedroom TV worked great after I turned off the antenna booster, but nothing on the TV in the livingroom. I am not sure where to go from here, I even studied the wiring diagram that Jim B. has posted. I was going to open up the coax plate in the bedroom to see what was behind it, and how the signal gets to the living area. Then, I thought I would short the cables one at a time to try and figure out with my ohm meter where they run. Any other ideas or advise?

jbeletti

svd,

I think WildWind (Clarence) knows the most about how the Bighorn's RF wiring is run. One common thing I have picked up on is that the F-connectors are a problem many times.

But, merely turning on one TV should not have an affect on another TV.

I am sure you'l get input on this one from others.

Jim

ct0218

If the splitter is wired backwards (infeed connected to out connector) I have seen it degrade the picture sometimes. It may depend on the quality of the splitter, just not sure. Like someone else said, the F connectors often were not crimped, and apparently no one at the factory owned a $4 coax stripper--the ends of the coax looked like they were stripped by squirrels. I still have a problem somewhere in the coax connections. The 26 inch LCD has a super picture on the satellite, but only fair with cable. The bedroom TV has an excellent picture on cable. I'll dig in to mine when I have a chance, but check for correct in-out connections on the splitter, and bad F connectors, or even a bad switcher.