Mifi 2200

Mikemm62

Mike & Suzanne
Verizon

I have a Verizon card and am very happy with the coverage.. I don't have unlimited I have the 5gig and have not used it yet .... you would have to do allot youtube etc... good luck..

MIke:):)

Jellystone

Verizon Wireless

JnPhobe,I glanced at your post and saw the word Verizon-not good. I use Sprint myself for wireless and have never had any major issues for the last 9 years with them. Two months ago, a good friend of mine picked up a new phone at Verizon and renewed the contract (after 4 years with Verizon). The new phone started to go bad, the screen could not be read at all, nothing but greenish digital image with lines. I accompanied my friend to a Verizon store and they said there was nothing they could do on a replacement at that time. It would have to go through main headquarters via 1-800#. After calling #, it was said that the phone could be replaced with a "used phone, minor defect phone, not same model or style, etc.) All this and my friend has been paying $5 extra insurance every month on this service for the last 4 years. As an outside party just witnessing this first hand unfold before me, I would not trust Verizon for any of my needs. Their behavior is not showing service after the sale or any immediate customer support to a good customer. My advice to you--Stay away from Verizon.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Verizon Wireless

Jon, we have had Verizon as our cell phone provider for a long time now and have never had a problem. Two cell phones and the truck phone. We also have a Verizon Wireless Air Card. No problems there either. If you pay the monthly insurance, and have a problem, drive your truck over the phone before you take it back and tell them it broke. They WILL replace it. Depending on your use, the 5 gig limit might be enough. Just don't download movies or music.

Peace
Dave

Retired CPO

My wife and I have had two phones from Verizion as well as a MIFI card whick we both use. I have a Desktop and she a laptop the ave speed is 54mbps but we have had better near big cities. We cover over 5600 miles so far & are now in BC Canada with no problems at all. We are very happy w/both services.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've been with Verizon ever since they were AirTouch and the phone came in a bag that plugged into the cigarette lighter. Looked at other companies over the years, but their coverage areas and costs just didn't match up with Verizon's. But the "insurance" is a joke. If the phone just dies an electronic death, good luck. Better to put a 9mm into it and call it damaged in use. Then they might cover it.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
We also have Verison, and have not had any problems, getting phones replaced. We pay the $5 for insurance on each phone, and with a teenage daughter( now out of teens) she had several phone replaced due to wear, and one fell in the toilet.

I had heard of the problem your friend had. The phone was a closeout and the model was not being produced any longer, so only refurb or repaired phones were available.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
What is the difference between a MIFI card and a WIFI card? Never heard of MIFI

AlexSian

Mobile Broadband Consultant
I want to get rid of my connection at home and hopefully be able to use it with my desk top and laptop when at home.
first make sure you're in verizon's highest speed mobile broadband coverage area, and not just their "national access" coverage.

second, you need to realize that if you ever operate the MiFi where cellular signal is weak, there is no easy way to attach a high gain cellular antenna (like a wilson trucker or whatever) -- because the MiFi has no rf/antenna jack.

third, you should keep in mind that the WiFi range of the MiFi is very limited... if you get 30 feet you're a lucky dog. and don't count on being able to connect to desktop via USB or ethernet, and have WiFi for laptop. the MiFi won't do that.

there is an easy solution to WiFi range and inability to connect via ethernet -- tether the MiFi to a Cradlepoint MBR1000 router. more info here.

in my opinion, the MiFi is a great product for a niche market, but that niche market is not RVers or home users.

bill40

We have used the Verison broadband card for many years with good results. I upgraded to the system you asked about and could not get it to operate two laptops let alone five, returned it and went back to our old contract and old card.They wanted to change the contract to the 5g limit so I said cancel it and they put me back on unlimted use.
I am sure someone has had good luck with the newer system. I have found Version has very cood coverage where our cellphone on Spint did not have coverage in NM,TX,OK and parts of AZ. This was in the last three months of travel. The card was fine but no service on phone. Looking into a switsh on the phone.

bswitter

Jon,
We have had Verizon broadband via various air cards for several years. We live in the boonies, so high speed via cable is not an option. Dial up was entirely too slow here, and I haven't heard alot of good things about the satellite providers. Even though our verizon cell phone signal is weaker at our house (we are terrain-challenged...in a hollow surrounded by hills on all 4 sides), verizon broadband is more than adequate for all of our internet needs. I also love the fact that we can take our laptop with us on vacations and have internet access if we have a cell signal. When we are on the road, often one of us will be on the internet while the other is driving.

I recently upgraded to the MiFi and so far am amazed by the little modem. I use it with my laptop plus my iPod touch. So far it has worked beautifully. My only complaint is that there is no battery indicator to let you know how much life is remaining, and to let you know when the battery is fully charged.

Subjectively speaking, the MiFi seems to be more dependable than my last aircard. I kept having problems with the aircard going dormant and not responding after short periods of inactivity.

I anxiously await the day that Verizon offers contracts with iPhones...sigh