Fifth Wheel Hitch Height Adjustment

sislv

Tom & Sharol
We purchased our Bighorn 3055RL about a month ago and had the Dealer deliver it. They later installed our Reese 16K hitch and rough guessed the needed height adjustment as we didn't have the fiver handy. I finally got the time to hook up to the Bighorn and found the height of the hitch seemed too high. So I dropped the hitch down one bolt hole (about 1 1/4") and went to a fairly level blacktop parking lot. The trailer looked pretty level to me but I would like any comments from others here as to what to go by for correct hitch height. I have attached a photo of the units hooked up.

Many thanks.........Tom

PS: I have 8" clearance over the box sides.

Last edited:

jpmorgan37

Tom;
I think that most recommend that the trailer should be about 6 inches above the bed rails. The picture looks good (except for the black storm clouds). The rig looks good and level, just see how it tows now.

John

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Thanks....

Thanks John and Trap. I think if I would drop another 1 1/4", the front of the Bighorn would be too low. The only other thing I have to watch for is the Reese 16K hitch also tilts about 6 or 8 degrees sideways. I'll have to keep an eye on the bed rail clearance. Nice feature in case you're hooking or unhooking on uneven ground.

The clouds look a lot worse in the picture......we need rain and haven't been getting it.

jpmorgan37

I have the same thing with my Super 5th with the tilt. I got into trouble a few years ago when I only had 4 inches of clearance and bent one of my bed rails on a sharply crowned road making a tight turn. Since then, I keep about 6 inch clearance and haven't had a problem since. I'm not prone to making the same mistake twice. I know about needing rain. Last winter in Texas, we had a burn ban on for over four months and now in Minnesota, the grass here resembles straw.

John

Paul & Nan

Unit looks good and level. Our 3500RL has about 8" of clearance and we also have the reese front to back/side to side swivel and have had no problems with tight turns/unlevel areas. Paul (N9IX)