Pay It Forward

SilverRhino

A few years ago, while hooking up to our previous 5th wheel.......a gentleman was standing and watching as we adjusted the front jack height to properly match the height of the fifth wheel.

As I was getting ready to back up the TV.....he stopped me and handed me a peace of cord with a bolt attached to it. He then instructed me to attach it to the bottom of the overhang so that the bolt just touched the ground. By attaching this each time....I would know how much to raise or lower my trailer to hitch to the TV.

I modified the original a bit......now I try to carry a couple of them with me, so that I can "Pay It Forward" the way that gentleman did so many years ago......helping out a novice with his seasoned wisdom. All you need is a few feet of #16 jack chain, a section of 3/4" wood dowel, a spring clip and a lad screw ( for weight ).

The attached photos show the simple set up.....just clip the hook to the the hitch pin.....set the trailer to the proper height for hitching to the TV......adjust the length of the chain so that the bolt in the dowel pin just touches the ground......and your set to hitch up!

Attachments

• P1010141.jpg
    P1010141.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 151
  • P1010137.jpg
    P1010137.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 160
  • P1010139.jpg
    P1010139.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 155

imchud

A few years ago, while hooking up to our previous 5th wheel.......a gentleman was standing and watching as we adjusted the front jack height to properly match the height of the fifth wheel.

As I was getting ready to back up the TV.....he stopped me and handed me a peace of cord with a bolt attached to it. He then instructed me to attach it to the bottom of the overhang so that the bolt just touched the ground. By attaching this each time....I would know how much to raise or lower my trailer to hitch to the TV.

I modified the original a bit......now I try to carry a couple of them with me, so that I can "Pay It Forward" the way that gentleman did so many years ago......helping out a novice with his seasoned wisdom. All you need is a few feet of #16 jack chain, a section of 3/4" wood dowel, a spring clip and a lad screw ( for weight ).

The attached photos show the simple set up.....just clip the hook to the the hitch pin.....set the trailer to the proper height for hitching to the TV......adjust the length of the chain so that the bolt in the dowel pin just touches the ground......and your set to hitch up!

Thanks for the post -I will be making one asap...

4ever

So simple and so effective. That's a great idea. Will be making one this week.

Thanks,

Ted

plumberdude

thanks for the info. i will add this to the list of things we will bring to pick -up our new toy hauler on the 16th. again i will fool the wife that i know what i am doing(sure i will) after 25yrs she knows better(rookie)

PSF513

That truly shows that the best ideas are often the simplest. We do our by my wife or I walking up to the king pin and measuring it on our body. This is much easier and less messy.

THANKS

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have always just eyeballed mine and it has worked for me. One less thing to carry and move around to get to other things.

khalsey

I use the memory level that you set when front raised up to unhook so you know what height to raise it to when getting ready to hook backup. Can be purchased at Camping World.

caissiel

Thats a great Idea. I set-up the height of the pin and 5th wheel hitch so as to make the trailer level when I unhitch. That is if I am on level ground. I will surely make one with an old dog leach.