Where is a good jacking point for my cyclone?

dougw

Hi,

I'm wanting to have the tires on the trailer balanced. It seems that most of our local tire shops are just to small to bring the trailer into to have them done. So my thought is to take a pair of tires off at one time and take them into the shop.

So my question is, where should I jack the trailer up at? under each axle just inside of the brake area or some place on the frame? I not sure I like the frame area because it is a bit high and I don't want to take any chances on bending the frame.

Any thoughts?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Do not jack you rig using the axles, put your jacks under the "I" beam and close to the tires.

porthole

Retired
As Mark said.

I would use a 12 ton bottle jack (tractor supply etc) and jack stands once the trailer is up. Don't trust a hydraulic jack by itself.

Although a 6 ton jack may seem "sufficient" it is not.

When my trailer had the IS installed it sat on four jacks, one at each corner about 6 feet from the end.

combine_billy

If you want to take a couple off at a time, just run one tire on each side up on a block of wood, that will leave the other tire on that side free to take off. No jacking needed.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
if you use combine billy's solution you will overload the tires and axels that are on the blocks.a 6000 lb axel and 3000 lb tires can only support that amount of weight.

combine_billy

There is a big difference between driving down the road on one axle and setting still on one axle. I have done this for 25 years with many many trucks/trailers and have not had a problem.

vangoes

Curiousity Question

I was just wondering why Lippert's manuals adamantly say do not put jacks under the axle. The entire units weigh is sitting on top of the axles so if a block of wood is used on top of the jack spreading the stress point out a little from the small jack tip, what is the difference from a jack on the bottom and the unit sitting on top of the axle? Just curious!!!!!

lwmcguir

I would be curious as to Lipperts position as well. The tire shops in my area and myself have always used the axles (under the springs ) as the jacking point for much heavier trailers than the Coaches. All types of springs as well, torsion, slipper and the light weight ones found on the Lippert frames. Maybe it is the light weight hangers as all our other trailer have 5/16 to 1/2 inch thick hangers. The Lipperts may be slightly less than 1/4 inch thick. Very Curious

dougw

I wonder who wrote this line from that pdf? kind of bad wording ha? wonder what the heck they had in mind as well as where on the I-beam.

"2. To prevent damage to the coach, carry wood blocks to place between the and the
main rail (I-beam) of the coach and to go under the jack"

probably just the easiest for me to do just one tire at a time and just roll the one wheel off the curb and let it drop vs trying to lift that trailer all that way. it is a long way up from the ground.

dw

dougw

I have to agree with lwmcguir, that what difference does it make if the weight is on top of the axle in one spot vs below the axle on top of a jack. Just seems like there would be less chance of bending a frame by twisting it.

porthole

Retired
There is a big difference between driving down the road on one axle and setting still on one axle. I have done this for 25 years with many many trucks/trailers and have not had a problem.

Ditto.

I was just wondering why Lippert's manuals adamantly say do not put jacks under the axle. Just curious!!!!!

My guess is they are concerned someone will place the jack under the center of the axle like using a floor jack on your car. And really make the “bend” noticeable.

"2. To prevent damage to the coach, carry wood blocks to place between the and the
main rail (I-beam) of the coach and to go under the jack"

I'm sure what they mean is:
Block of wood under the jack
Block of wood between the jack and the frame.
Both of these would distribute the load.

And if you are not comfortable juggling the jack, couple pieces of scrap lumber and lifting a "live load" of 4-12,000 pounds or more - call road service.

Looks like we will throw in a 12T bottle jack and a couple of timbers after reading the Lippert doc.

Don’t you already carry lumber for you jack pads?

The 12 Ton bottle jack is only slightly more thene the lesser rated versions and well worth it.
There are also low profile versions available for those with “alternate” suspensions like the Mor/Ryde IS.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
you can bend or otherwise damage the axle if you use it as a life point while jacking.