Need to Jack Up Front of Trailer

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I have a broken leveling jack (on the off door side of my 2009 2900MK) and need to jack it up to get the weight off that leveling jack in order to replace a part in it. Where is the best place to use a bottle jack to raise that side of the trailer high enough to get my truck hooked up? Should I jack it up in front of or behind the leveling jack, or should I use the corner by the leveling jack?

SmokeyBare

Gus,

Your going to need to be sure to place the bottle jack directly under the frame of the RV. Be sure your jack is on a solid place... might want to block it up... but if you do be sure the blocking you use will not move or wobble as you raise the RV and remove the front leg.

Good Luck !!

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Gus
The front frame rail, however you will need to jack at the same time as you go up with the door side jack. This can be a little tricky. Does anyone you know have a tripod? At least, if the jack starts to slip, the tripod can be your safety support. Always good to have a backup.

boatto5er

Thanks Marv and Jim,

I picked up a 6 ton bottle jack yesterday and have plenty of solid 2x8 boards to use as blocking material both under the jack and at the frame rail on the trailer. I hadn't thought about using the tripod as a backup, but that's a great idea. Got great service from Lippert on the parts and should have them tomorrow or Thursday, but won't get back to the trailer until Sunday to try to get them installed. Wish me luck.

Gus

boatto5er

I believe that once I get it jacked up to the proper height, I'll put it on the truck for support. I'll get the clearance I need to work on the jack, and have the truck supporting the trailer.

boatto5er

This is one time the slow moving electric jack(s) will come in handy. It'll be much easier to keep the bottle jack in sync with the one working electric jack than if I had fast moving hydraulics:).

boatto5er

I repaired the broken jack today. Wasn't extremely difficult. Had to take the entire jack assembly out to have sufficient room to work on it. Bottom line is it's working fine now. Thanks to Lippert and especially Gary for getting the right part to me quickly with a good diagram.

boatto5er

Thanks Deb. I actually enjoy doing my own work and learning how the "innards" work. It's amazing how small some of the parts that do the heavy lifting are.

Guess we'll wait on the Landmark. Maybe Santa will bring one:rolleyes:.

Gus

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Glad everything went well. Keep this up and you will be qualified as an RV repair tech. Who knows where that will go.;)

Retired CPO

Well recently I had chg the axels on my BigHorn at TrailAir, here is how they jsck it up to work on!!!

Attachments

• RV stuff 004.jpg
    RV stuff 004.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 44
  • RV stuff 005.jpg
    RV stuff 005.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 41

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Thanks Deb. I actually enjoy doing my own work and learning how the "innards" work. It's amazing how small some of the parts that do the heavy lifting are.

Guess we'll wait on the Landmark. Maybe Santa will bring one:rolleyes:.

Gus
I don't know Gus...You know at this time of the year, I've been looking very closely at the Good Boy list. You've been "OK" but I'm not sure you've been "Landmark Good."

Santa

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Don't worry Gus, all you have to do is promise Santa a piece of Pecan Pie,on Christmas Eve,and the Landmark is yours.Throw in a piece of Coconut pie and you can have a level up system too,right Santa?;)

boatto5er

Glad everything went well. Keep this up and you will be qualified as an RV repair tech. Who knows where that will go.;)
Well...I could use some spare income when I retire in a few years:rolleyes:.

Well recently I had chg the axels on my BigHorn at TrailAir, here is how they jsck it up to work on!!!
Wish I'd had one of those. The initial part of the job would have gone much faster and smoother.

I don't know Gus...You know at this time of the year, I've been looking very closely at the Good Boy list. You've been "OK" but I'm not sure you've been "Landmark Good."

Santa
Landmark Good is probably impossible to achieve (at least for me:D).

Don't worry Gus, all you have to do is promise Santa a piece of Pecan Pie,on Christmas Eve,and the Landmark is yours.Throw in a piece of Coconut pie and you can have a level up system too,right Santa?;)
For that I'll throw in a glass of milk a couple of Chocolate Chip cookies!

Santa is easy but not quite that easy, I think.
Yep, I think he wants us to work hard for what we get. Now if I can just get the grandkids to understand that...