Propane line routing for BBQ/misc

Manke3010

Hello all,

I'd like to route in a receptacle so I can run my outdoor grill off the LP from the main coach tanks.
I believe one option would be to get a brass T with 3 ports, and have that hooked up to the tank closest to the grill. The problem with this, will be the times that this tank runs dry, and once I divert over to the opposite tank, I'll either have no gas to the bbq line, or I'll have to swap out each tank, and reinstall the brass T to the full tank. Although acceptable, I think it'd be great to be able to have the line feeding the BBQ (or what have you) always "live" in having access to LP, regardless of which tank I'm feeding off of.

I know I can't run the line after the factory regulator.
Is it possible to bypass the regulator on the grill if I were to go this route...any ideas?
If not, then my radical idea is to see if it would be possible to get another diverter T that is unregulated, hook that up to a brass 90 deg. Run the horizontal outlet down to the bbq line (this would be unregulated) and the vertical outlet of the 90 coupling would run down into a new regulator that the main coach line feeds down and under into the coach.
Does this sound doable? Or is there a much more simple way that my complicated (sometimes idiotic) mind isn't coming up with?
Is anyone else running something like this or are you all just using the 1 gal propane jugs?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
-Luke

rtataryn

Hi Luke,

Until someone smarter chimes in on this . . . I'll offer what I do. It's real simple. I use the tank on the off-door side for the main coach, and connect a BBQ line to the door-side tank - in place of the main coach line. It of course has it's own BBQ regulator, a ten foot hose that coils up inside the tank closet, and it has a quick-connect to my grill (Another thing I like is that the hose runs out the bottom of the tank closet so the door doesn't have to be open when it's all set up). So now I have a separate tank for each need, and I like being able to monitor the amount used for each purpose. Realize the longest trip I've ever done is only one week, so I've never had an issue of running out of propane from either tank with that setup. However, if I went longer or had a concern of running out, I'd carry an extra propane tank(s) in the basement and switch either the left or right tank out as needed.

Just my .02.

Rod

Rod

escs36

i have put thought into this as well. i have not looked into the plumbing of the propane system. i would imagine that this project would be very simple. seperate two lines, add a T fitting, seal the threads, and run a 10 foot line with the appropiate fitting to adapt to the BBQ. as mentioned, the BBQ requlates the propane.

caissiel

There are propane adapters that can be hooked to one or both thanks, High pressure lines can then be feed to the BBQ. I used a 12ft line with a HP tee, they can be hooked live with pressure in the line. But with 2 Tanks now I just hook a HP Propane line from the spare tank to the BBQ, much cheaper and just as good.

truknutt

Committed Member
Hi Luke,

Until someone smarter chimes in on this . . . I'll offer what I do. It's real simple. I use the tank on the off-door side for the main coach, and connect a BBQ line to the door-side tank - in place of the main coach line. It of course has it's own BBQ regulator, a ten foot hose that coils up inside the tank closet, and it has a quick-connect to my grill (Another thing I like is that the hose runs out the bottom of the tank closet so the door doesn't have to be open when it's all set up). So now I have a separate tank for each need, and I like being able to monitor the amount used for each purpose. Realize the longest trip I've ever done is only one week, so I've never had an issue of running out of propane from either tank with that setup. However, if I went longer or had a concern of running out, I'd carry an extra propane tank(s) in the basement and switch either the left or right tank out as needed.

Just my .02.

Rod

Rod

I use a similar setup; Off-door bottle is used as main coach feed (with auto regulator switch "aimed" in this tank's position) and on the door-side I installed a tee (before the regulator so it's High Pressure) that allows propane accessories to be attached. In our case a 12 foot hose out the bottom of the tank closet and into my Coleman Road Trip grill's Low pressure regulator.

Similar to this offering from Camping World.

Manke3010

Thanks for all the responses so far fellas...
I did a little research earlier today and ended up ordering exactly what trucknutt just posted, so that makes me feel good about ordering the right stuff :)
I almost ordered the kit from Camco off Amazon, but after looking at the connection that screws into the propane tank on our rigs, I had some doubt and called them and it looks like that brand won't work. The smaller diameter "neck" is much longer thant he Mr. Heater brand that we all are using and I ordered.
I ended up going with the T shape piece versus the 90 degree type shape that you posted Trucknutt, hopefully it doesn't matter either way, just thought it would install cleaner on my particular rig.
Btw, you can get everything in that kit he posted from Camping World over on Amazon, shipped for like $66 compared to over $90 at CW.

One other question though...assuming I'm running all coach appliances off the other side propane tank, auto regulater "aimed" at that tank, and my bbq line will run from the main door side tank, do you guys leave that tanks top valve open at all times and just screw a cap on the end of the 12' hose when not in use?
I'm sure it's better to close that tanks top valve when we head home, but what about if the other tank goes empty while camping and I'll need to "aim" the regulator to this main side tank, we're safe to keep the hose on and just cap it when not in use, right?

Thanks again everyone.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I keep the hose to the camper hooked to the T at all times so I can still use this tank. I only connect the hose for the grill or whatever to the T when I need it.The T that I have has a cap I keep screwed on when not using the hose.I purchased my kit from CW several years ago.

truknutt

Committed Member
Manke,

I actually use the straight thru version also (couldn't find a good link for a photo earlier). When not in use I disconnect the hose and cap the tee's accessory port with the supplied cap. I aim this port straight down so there is no stress on the hose when connected. I also use an in-line fuel gauge on both bottles for easy level checks. (Similar to this one) With the gauge and the tee it is tight but there are no leaks or undue stress on the hoses..just got lucky, I guess. :D

If you aim your auto regulator to the off-door bottle and she runs out of propane, it should "AUTO" kick over to the door-side bottle (provided you have left both bottles opened. This way, say you are using the indoor stove, you can continue to cook (provided both bottles aren't dry!) and refill the off-door side at your convenience.

Before each outing I make a habit of checking the propane levels, check for leaks etc. so I don't worry about running out. The Coleman uses very little propane when compared to the Char-Broil monster at the "sticks & bricks".

Glad we could help! ;)

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Truknutt,I have thought about buying the propane gauge a couple times but couldn't really decide.Are you satisfied with them?

Manke3010

He sold me on them, but I just did a bunch of reading of reviews on Amazon, 44 posted reviews of the same type of unit Trucknutt posted and there are a lot of poor reviews as of late. Some love them, but a lot of people say they are worthless....interested in what you say about your setup...
Thanks again you guys.

rtataryn

I use a similar setup; Off-door bottle is used as main coach feed (with auto regulator switch "aimed" in this tank's position) and on the door-side I installed a tee (before the regulator so it's High Pressure) that allows propane accessories to be attached. In our case a 12 foot hose out the bottom of the tank closet and into my Coleman Road Trip grill's Low pressure regulator.

Similar to this offering from Camping World.

Excellent. I'm going to get a T connector also, so the BBQ and coach hoses can always stay connected. Thanks for the link. I also have the Coleman Road trip. Great little BBQ.

truknutt

Committed Member
He sold me on them, but I just did a bunch of reading of reviews on Amazon, 44 posted reviews of the same type of unit Trucknutt posted and there are a lot of poor reviews as of late. Some love them, but a lot of people say they are worthless....interested in what you say about your setup...
Thanks again you guys.

I actually bought mine at Lowe's...Charmglow I believe. They have a leak-down checking feature on them. Open the bottle SLOWLY to fully open position, Press down on the gauge's face which opens a valve and the gas flows charging the line. Gauge reading will drop if there is a leak in the system. I have one on each bottle and one on my home's gas grill..no problems so far.