2011 North Country

jagiv

Has anybody seen anything about changes to the North Country for 2011? Some of the 2011 Heartland fifth-wheel models are out there and there have been discussions about changes to the Edge and North Trail, but I haven't seen anything about the NC. We liked some of the mid-2010 additions to the NC options list (free standing dinette, air hide-a-bed sofa, pillow top queen mattress, etc.) and hope to see more choices for 2011.

Thanks.

John

LookN4Ward

2011 291RKS model. Instead of siding you get laminated exterior walls. I was trying to figure out the difference between NC and Trail Runners. Looks like laminated exterior is the difference.
InventoryUnitShowImage.aspx

jagiv

Thanks, bigbog.

I am sure you meant 2011...

We were told we have a build date some time next week. We are brand new to RVing and are really looking forward to it!

Hello Pat & John,

We are seriously considering the purchase of the exact model (2011 NC 29RLS) you own. I am still not satisfied that my tow vehicle (2009 Suburban 1500 4X4) c/w tow package will be adequate for this TT. I haven't had any luck getting an answer that satisfies me yet. If you don't mind, I am curious about your experience towing this unit with your 2500LT. Do you think I am undersized? Any input you could provide about towing and also, your general impressions about your 29RLS (i.e. would you buy it again) would be very much appreciated. Thanks

jagiv

Fan99, let me deal with the issues separately.

The dry weight of the 29RLS is pegged at 7,632# and the GVWR is 10,400#. By the rule of thumb that I have always heard you need to have a vehicle tow capacity that is at least 120% of the GVWR of the trailer. That means you need a tow capacity of at least 12,480# for minimum safe towing of this trailer.

Another rule of thumb that you often hear is find the trailer that you want first, then find a tow vehicle to match it. I'll admit I didn't do it that way, but I did pin down the size of trailer that we wanted before I went out to find a tow vehicle. I bought a tow vehicle that had some additional towing capacity [2005 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax (13,600#)] just to on the safe side. Then, before we ordered the trailer, I took the tow vehicle to the RV dealer we had selected and asked him detailed questions about the match I was proposing. When he approved the match we ordered the trailer.

That being said, from the 2008 Trailer Life Towing Guide (http://www.trailerlife.com/images/digitaleditions/pdfs/DigitalTLTowGuide0801.pdf), it appears that the tow capacity of your 2009 Suburban, if it as XL with the 6.0 V-8, is 8,000#. My opinion is that you have too much trailer for your tow vehicle. You should either look for a lighter trailer or look for another tow vehicle. Just my opinion, but keep asking around. Get lots of opinions.

As to the NC 29RLS, I am very happy with it, but I must add that due to an urgent family medical situation that arose just after we ordered the trailer we have not been out in it, although we have now had it since late July. Selecting your dealer is probably as important as selecting your trailer. I am very happy with my dealer (Olivers Campers in Norwich, NY). One of the things that they told me is that there is no such thing as the perfect trailer. They all have issues and part of owning a trailer is being ready, willing, and able to deal with issues as they arise. The Heartland North Country is not the perfect trailer. We have had some minor issues while it just sat here in our driveway that cause me to question both the quality of some Heartland design elements and the workmanship that went into building it. The great thing is that between my dealer and me we have been able to address all of those issues and I am happy with the results.

Given what I know right now, given the limitations expressed above, yes, I would but the NC 29RLS again.

Hope I have been helpful.

John

Thank you very much for your reply, Pat & John. You have essentially confirmed the uneasy feeling in my stomach re: the 29RLS being too much trailer for my tow vehicle. Unfortunately, I purchased my truck only at the end of July of this year, while being ignorant of its true towing capability. Replacing it at this time is not a viable option. From what I have read here, and on other forums while researching our trailer purchase, I think we are going to have to settle for something else. Most unfortunate because we really like the layout and the appearance at least of quality workmanship.

In terms of your comments re: our local dealer, we would love to purchase locally, but given that we live in Atlantic Canada, research has suggested that we can purchase the same unit from large volume U.S. dealers for about half the "drive home" price of our local dealer. It sounds almost too good to be true, but I have received a firm quote from a large volume dealer that shows this to be true.

Thanks again for your prompt response. I wish you all the best with your 29 RLS.

Lynne1

Hi
I'm new to the forum.
My husband and I purchased a 2011 Heartland North Country Lakeside 311 Rets TT in the fall. It's beautiful! So much storage; can't wait to use it all.
Lynne1

jimtoo

Hi Lynne1,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure you will make lots of good memories with your new North Country and your Heartland family is here to help if needed. Check the Portal Page for rallies near you and join in.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

alageezer

Lynne1,

We are considering the same unit. By any chance did you compare this one to a standard NC 31RETS? If so, what did you find the differences to be?

RTRT94

looking for someone who ones a 2011 North country Lakeside....have question for you.
when looking at your camper the big lake logo on the front when you push on the front does it push in? my dealer says some are made that way?:confused: