Vent fan interferes with TV reception

Neville

When using the bathroom fan the reception on the TV goes out. Does anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it?:confused:

jimtoo

Hi Neville,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share and help.

I have not heard of this problem before, but lots of things happen. I'm sure someone will jump in and help with the problem.

I did move your thread to the Bighorn area, so maybe someone with the same thing will give you a hint or help here.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jbeletti

Neville,

When you say "goes out", can you describe that a bit more? Do you mean the screen goes black, like it's not turned on? Or the image gets really fuzzy or snowy?

I am wondering if the issue is an electrically noisy fan motor. Check the brand of that vent fan. If it's Fantastic Vent Fan, give them a call. There contact info is listed on the left side of the Portal, here.

Jim

Two Hands

Ours will do that too, but it is usually when the reception is poor anyway. We turn off the fan and it is back to normal reception. When we are close to the stations and have good reception from a strong signal we seldom have the problem.

SmokeyBare

Makes me wonder if the TV Amplifer draws it's power from the same 12 Volt circuit as the Bathroom Fan?!?!?! Could the fan running pull down the Voltage on the line enough to reduce the power of the Amplifier??

wdk450

RFI from fan motor

When using the bathroom fan the reception on the TV goes out. Does anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it?:confused:

This is an example of Radio Frequency Interference. The fan evidently uses motor brushes to connect the DC to the rotating armature. This results in sparking and generating RFI radiowave signals which interfere with a broad spectrum of eletrromagnetic frequencies, including the cable or over-the-air TV signals.

First of all, try contacting the fan manufacturer to see if they have an engineered fix,

The classic fix is to wire a .001 microfarad ceramic capacitor across the fan supply wires as close to the fan as possible. The capacitor should have a voltage rating of about 35 volts or more. This will shunt the noise away from the 12 volt power circuits and effectively short it out (capacitors effectively conduct AC and don't conduct DC).

Electronic stores sell a little heavier fix in a filter designed for 12 volt car alternators. Car alternators have brushes too, and some make an electrical whine that varies with engine speed that you can hear in your car audio components. Again, this filter should be wired to the 12 volt supply for the fan, as close to the fan as possible. The filters usually have a capacitor across the power line as noted aboved, then an inductor in series with the power (inductors pass DC and block AC) and a final capacitor across the output of the filter.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

wdk450

Hook up the capacitor in paralell

Do I hook this capacitor up in series or parallel? It's been a long time since I've been in the books.

Hookup the capacitor in paralell to the fan - Best of all if it is easily accessable, install the capacitor right across the motor terminals. Closer to the noise source is better.
BTW if you hook up the capacitor in series, the motor won't run because DC current to the motor will be blocked.

lizzymit

Our 2011 BigHorn does the same thing. Static on TV when fan is running. Does anyone have a solution that is easy to accomplish without being an engineer or techie?

JJnLilly

Same problem on out Greystone. By the location of the antenna booster and the fan, bet they are on the same circuit. Hate to cut into the fan to install something as I am not an electrician at all.

KL7j

Same problem on out Greystone. By the location of the antenna booster and the fan, bet they are on the same circuit. Hate to cut into the fan to install something as I am not an electrician at all.

This is common problem as mentioned in earlier posts on motors with brushes.

You can bypass and you can block the offending interference

The capiacitor bypass mentioned in an earlier post does require a bit of wiring.

One can also block by using ferrite beads (a bead looks like a 3/8" doughnut) which you pass the wire lead thru the bead hole after using about 5 beads minimum and reconnect. Put a string of beads on each motor wire.

Best is to do both a bypass and inductive blocking, but you can see if one approach is enough. These beads are readily available and very inexpensive to buy and ship USPS, and free tech help at: http://www.palomar-engineers.com/RFI_Kit/rfi_kit.html

In 'ham' amateur radio and commerical applications we use these products all the time.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have experienced this in our Elk Ridge. What happens is that the digital picture gets more pixelated, stalls, or goes black for a few seconds. I just turned off the fan. ;-D