Bikes on back - tarps or no tarps?

SueJean

While bikes are not mandatory accessories for the backs of RV's, quite of few RVer's do seem to have at least one dangling from either a bonafide bike rack or somehow bungie-corded to the ladder on the back. Though neither DannyLee or I can claim to be avid bike riders since we managed to travel throughout the U.S. and only rode them a couple of times, we have accessorized our Nest with two comfortable bicycles and a decent bike rack.

We then turned this into some sort of a weird sculpture by bungee-cording a very large, brown tarp over them disguising the bikes completely and partially covering the tail lights so as to confuse anyone foolish enough to get that close to our rear end. :confused: Our idea was actually more about saving our bikes from the sun/rain/road grit than anything else, but as we found after 15,000 miles and very little riding, our bikes have still seen a lot more wear and tear than expected.

On our most recent move, we decided to change the entire bike rack set-up and have moved the bikes to a vertical alignment instead of the more traditional horizontal mounting. It definitely provides a much better view of the rear lights which is even more improved with the absence of the tarp. :) A few spare bungee cords makes this alignment a far more interesting sculpture than the brown thing and also makes the artistic display on our back window more visible. ;)

As the tarp hasn't really appeared to do all that much to preserve our bikes from anything and probably contributes a lot to our lack of interest in riding as it's a pain to wrestle the thing back over the bikes come time to leave, I was wondering where other bike enthusiasts would weigh in on the question of whether "to tarp or not to tarp?" :confused:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Is there room in your floorplan to bring the bikes inside and secure them while in transit? Don't know which rig you have. Removing the front tire makes it easy to get them in the door and lay flat, or stand them upside down. If I'm not mistaken, one individual (I think Rick-Debbie-Gallant) actually made a stand to put his between the rear slides of his 3670. With our previous TT, I laid a clean plastic tarp on the bed, removed the front tires and laid both bikes on top of it.

SueJean

Inside?

Definitely no room inside! We have a 2008 Big Horn 3400RL.

When the sliders are in, there's no real usable space left over and the bed plays host to DannyLee's guitar, a clothes basket and a few other miscellaneous things that are homeless while traveling. ;)

:) Bikes are destined to stay with bike rack outside.

SmokeyBare

SueJean,

We too had bikes... hauled those seldom used Ladder Ornaments back and forth across the USA... till I finally came to the conclusion we are just not really into riding bikes !! Oh I'd take them down from time to time... suggesting "WE" should take a ride... those times grew so far and few between toward the end.... yep the end... We were parked in a campground we visited when we were back in Ohio. I hauled them off the Ladder for the last time... found a sweet olé' Grandma who thought her grandkids would LOVE the chance to ride around the campgrounds on Grandma suppled bikes. We negotiated a fair price... one that made her feel she found a real bargin... and one that relieved not only my RV's Ladder of hauling them for hundreds of miles... but also my guilty feelings of not riding those dang bikes.....

BUT... if your determined to have bikes... they make a nice folding bike which can be stored in a very handy bag... and a pair of them can be put in the basement of the RV... or in the back of the truck as you travel.

Good Luck with your quest to the perfect bike solution.

Delaine and Lindy

Bike's......

We take our Bike's every trip. We use them almost ever day. We are fortunate to have a large basement. I only remove the front tires and roll them in and they are secured by bike clamps on each front fork. As for a tarp I wouldn't use them, they are kinda like a wind bag. Good luck with your decision. GBY......

P.S. I almost forgot, most rear ladder racks aren't designed to carry the extra weight of the bikes that are bouncing around and the excess weight attached to one point.

aatauses

We have our bikes with us and use them quite a bit, especially on rails to trails we find everywhere we go. As for the racks we have ours on the TV on the roof (3500) and it has worked great. We can keep them there while towing and use the same rack when we are just going to the bike trail. Ours are from Yakima. As for the tarps, we have them to cover the bikes when they are parked, but not when traveling.
al

Gaffer

Boat Hitch

Saw this brand new 3055 leaving the dealer yesterday with hitch installed. Looks like a clean installation. $ 470. This would be grat for a bike carrier. Pictures are a little dark. I hope you can get the idea.

Attachments

• 3055 001.jpg
    3055 001.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 3055 002.jpg
    3055 002.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 3055 003.jpg
    3055 003.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 29