ceiling lights

We are new owners of a 3600RL. All of the ceiling lights get extremely hot and I would think could be a fire hazard. We never leave on for long. Also, the kitchen light doesn't give much light making the kitchen rather dark. So my questions are can the ceiling lights be replaced with LED bulbs........I'm told you can only purchase them at a rally but that doesn't seem right......any ideas where they can be purchased. And can we replace the kitchen light with a flourescent fixture? Thanks, Charles and Ruth

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We are new owners of a 3600RL. All of the ceiling lights get extremely hot and I would think could be a fire hazard. We never leave on for long. Also, the kitchen light doesn't give much light making the kitchen rather dark. So my questions are can the ceiling lights be replaced with LED bulbs........I'm told you can only purchase them at a rally but that doesn't seem right......any ideas where they can be purchased. And can we replace the kitchen light with a flourescent fixture? Thanks, Charles and Ruth

Some folks use flourescent fixtures. You can get LED's from this source to replace the 12V incandescent bulbs. You'll want the 1141 base type. I bought one of the warm white 9-LED ones and put it over the kitchen stove to try it out. Pricey, but I'll be ordering more by next spring. We've left the lights on for extended periods with no ill effects, other than the darn things burning out. Yes, they do get hot (not the LED's, though). Look up posts by SkyGuy. He did several of his lights with LED's.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have a 3600RL too, and just recently replaced all the bulbs in our 12 volt overhead lights with these

http://www.virtualvillage.com/36-white-12v-led-circuit-board-rv-boat-light-bulb-1156.html

If you order ten or more you can negotiate a wholesale price...we bought 30 replacement bulbs and got them for $7.70 each.

The have 36 LED's and they stay completely cool...we even replaced them in all the cargo bays and the UDC. The light is whiter and cooler, a little strange to get used to, but we really like them.

cjhicks

Some folks use flourescent fixtures. You can get LED's from this source to replace the 12V incandescent bulbs. You'll want the 1141 base type. I bought one of the warm white 9-LED ones and put it over the kitchen stove to try it out. Pricey, but I'll be ordering more by next spring. We've left the lights on for extended periods with no ill effects, other than the darn things burning out. Yes, they do get hot (not the LED's, though). Look up posts by SkyGuy. He did several of his lights with LED's.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html
John did you put the LED in the vent hood lite and if you did was there any inprovement. DW has been asking for a better lite over the stove.

JohnDar

John did you put the LED in the vent hood lite and if you did was there any inprovement. DW has been asking for a better lite over the stove.

No, that light is a bit different and all but useless. But they might have a different LED configuration that would work in there, I'll have to look at that next spring. I put the 9-LED in the single bulb fixture next to the vent hood, after removing it and rotating it 180 deg. so the lamp is facing the stove instead of the refer. wall. It helped some with visibility on the stove.

The company is very good about their product. The one we got failed after a day installed. I e-mailed them, was told to ship it back, and they sent a new one. No problems with it.

b_pilot

I have a Bighorn 3600RL and I am having trouble with the ceiling lights also. I just replaced 4 or 5 of the 1141. I thought I might have an electrical problem but judging by this thread it is the fault of the bulbs getting too hot. You would think that if this is a problem, Heartland would find a better solutiion for new trailers. My trailer is a 2010 model. Guess I'll have to look at the LED lights.

JohnDar

I have a Bighorn 3600RL and I am having trouble with the ceiling lights also. I just replaced 4 or 5 of the 1141. I thought I might have an electrical problem but judging by this thread it is the fault of the bulbs getting too hot. You would think that if this is a problem, Heartland would find a better solutiion for new trailers. My trailer is a 2010 model. Guess I'll have to look at the LED lights.

The 1141 is basically an automotive lamp, probably not meant for continuous service. In a pinch, if you can't find 1141's, the 1156 will work. I replaced a similar number of bulbs last summer (first season with the BH). The LED's are supposed to be long-lived but run about $22 each for the 9-LED, so replacing with them will be an ongoing process, a couple at a time for the lights we use the most.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have a 3600RL too, and just recently replaced all the bulbs in our 12 volt overhead lights with these

http://www.virtualvillage.com/36-white-12v-led-circuit-board-rv-boat-light-bulb-1156.html

If you order ten or more you can negotiate a wholesale price...we bought 30 replacement bulbs and got them for $7.70 each.

The have 36 LED's and they stay completely cool...we even replaced them in all the cargo bays and the UDC. The light is whiter and cooler, a little strange to get used to, but we really like them.

The heat issue is exactly why we chose these...they are not automotive, they are made specifically to replace the 1156 bulbs in boats and RVs....and they work great!