Cracks in truck tires

Dave42

Hello,
I noticed some time back (months) that all 4 tires on my F-350 have cracks about 1 inch from the wheels, running all the way around the tire. Are these dangerous? The tires ar BF Goodrich Rugged Trail t/a, built 40/04, installed June/05. They have 40,000 miles, about 12,000 to 15,000 of that towing 10,000 to 12,000 pound 5th wheels. The treads have about 9/16" left and so are nowhere near the wear bars.

These tires replaced Firestone Steeltex OEM in June/05 after a blow out on the left rear at 67mph with a 30' Cardinal 5th wheel. Ruined the wheel and the left skin of the bed. Cost about $2500 to fix but there was almost no damage to the trailer.

Just wondering if I should replace them before the winter trek south? Attempting to show you a picture.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• 003 (2).JPG
    003 (2).JPG
    484.9 KB · Views: 61

caokgafamily

I had some cracks like that on my Michellin tires on my 250 after 16000 miles. My research indicated they were stress or weather cracks. I talked to Michellin and they prorated those tires and I got a new set for half the price installed.

Uncle Rog

From your DOT date those tires are a little over 5 years old. I would be concerned that the rubber is going south as I have read that no matter the mileage they go bad in 5-6 years. It might be a good to try getting a pro-rated deal.................

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I would go ahead and drive with those tires...just far enough to get to the tire store and replace them. :D

SilverRhino

In NYS those could cause a car/truck to be rejected from passing inspection. I don't think they're a terrible safety hazard, but read this and see what you think

http://www.tire-information-world.com/tire-sidewall-deterioration.html

I had the same thing happen to a set of Goodyears ( From the Factory )....went into a local Goodyear dealer and asked about them before we set out on a trip....."No problem, just some weather checking"

About 300 miles later....checked tires at a rest stop.....no real change. Went down the road.....about 200 miles later, another rest stop......cracks had gone from cracks to gaps of about 3/8". Went to the nearest town and replaced them. Manager at that shop said he would not have ever let me leave home with the tires.

Just my experience.

Travel Safe!

loafer

HAd cracks like those on my Michelins inside dually tires had some wear left but tire shop here said no way should I being driving with 5 th wheel down I-5 to California and I replaced them .
Had piece of mind knowing that I had good tires all around. Remember you are only connected to the road by only a few square inches of rubber to the road so it must be good.
My .02 cents worth
Regards Bill from the West Coast of Canada